[net.sources] "Ferret" FLAME-you have it already

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (10/20/85)

In article <250@3comvax.UUCP> mikes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Shannon) writes:

>	Who needs ferret programs when all unix systems have a 'find' program?
>	Are the 'ferret' authors simply unaware of this standard, basic
>utility program?
>
>	People who introduce new tools to the net should take some effort
>to acquaint themselves with tools which already exist.
>	When new tools ARE introduced, (especially if another standard,
>similar tool already exists), please explain why your new tool is
>superior to the standard one.
>
>	Besides ferret, there has also been posted a 'findfn' program which
>sounds suspiciously like 'ctags'.  Except that it won't work with 'vi'!!!
>Who needs it?
>--
>			Michael Shannon {ihnp4,hplabs}!oliveb!3comvax!mikes

     I think that a major problem may be brewing here, unless this
has already been discussed and decided.  The Amiga and 520ST people
have been trying to figure out where to put *their* source-code.

     Mike, flaming about receiving new source code for a feature
*you* have is all very nice, but not everybody 'here' uses only
Unix.  Some people may find good use for utilities like 'find' on
other systems.  They *can't* rip off Unix sources for other systems
(as you should know) so does that mean they should be forced to
do without?

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura