[net.sources] PC JOVE IS NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN

iverson@cory.BERKELEY.EDU (Tim Iverson) (02/03/86)

[ go ahead, eat my line ... ]

	Recently there were articles posted concerning the availability of
public domain PC JOVE source.  I have the source to jove (from a friend of the
author) and as far as I know, PC JOVE IS NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.  The source
contains explicit copyright notices and it does not give permission to copy
for non-commercial purposes.  Furthermore, I was asked not to give the source
or the executable to anyone.  If you see a PD PC JOVE, it is probably very
old, or stolen.

	Attempts at contacting Jonathan are being made, but he is no longer
in touch with civilization (i.e. the USENET, :-).

- Tim Iverson.
  iverson@cory.BERKELEY.EDU
  iverson@cory.UUCP

davy@pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) (02/05/86)

[I am copying this to net.emacs, since this is discussed there from time
 to time -- maybe rn will even let me do it...]

Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:

/*************************************************************************
 * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
 * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
 * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
 * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
 * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
 *************************************************************************/

Jon checked this summer with the folks at Unison World, and they told him
it was okay for him to continue to release JOVE to people on "real"
machines (Vaxes, etc.) since that was not their intended market (micros)
anyway.

By the way, JOVE will appear as user-contributed software on the 4.3BSD
tape.  It has been extensively improved over the version most of you
probably have, including interactive processes in windows, filename
completion, lisp mode, a more complete set of EMACS-like commands, bug
fixes, speed improvements, etc.  In short, it's fantastic.  Still fits
on a PDP-11, even.

--Dave Curry
davy@ee.purdue.edu
ihnp4!pur-ee!davy

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (02/05/86)

In article <11699@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> iverson@cory.UUCP (Tim Iverson) writes:

>	Recently there were articles posted concerning the availability of
>public domain PC JOVE source.  I have the source to jove (from a friend of the
>author) and as far as I know, PC JOVE IS NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.  The source
>contains explicit copyright notices and it does not give permission to copy
>for non-commercial purposes.  Furthermore, I was asked not to give the source
>or the executable to anyone.  If you see a PD PC JOVE, it is probably very
>old, or stolen.

	Neither old, nor stolen. The copyrighted JOVE is a recent thing,
	as recent as few months. All previous versions are non-copyrighted.
	If you want to go to the very earliest version, it was originally
	distributed by Lincoln-Sudbury highschool (where Jonathan was..)
	and that does not contain any copyrights either. This means that
	if you replace the reg. expression code and the temporary I/O code
	in JOVE, you can distribute it to the world. On the other hand, I
	am not sure if it is worth it. Perhaps one should wait and see
	u-emacs before doing anything with jove.

Oz

--
Usenet: [decvax|allegra|linus|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti]

mab@ttidcc.UUCP (Michael A. Bloom) (02/06/86)

In article <11699@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> iverson@cory.UUCP (Tim Iverson) writes:

|author) and as far as I know, PC JOVE IS NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.  The source
|contains explicit copyright notices and it does not give permission to copy
|for non-commercial purposes.

That is likely to be true for PC jove.  I recently received a copy of the
NEW version of jove, with interactive shell windows and a nicer, more
extensive, user interface.  Each file contains a copyright notice with
text saying the jove for UNIX is free, and you may make copies for "licensed
UNIX systems", but that under no conditions can copies be made for "micro-
computers".  I think this means he intends to market it for PC's.
.   contains a notice sayin

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (02/07/86)

In article <3704@pur-ee.UUCP> davy@pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) writes:

>Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
>The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:
>
>/*************************************************************************
> * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
> * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
> * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
> * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
> * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
> *************************************************************************/

	Key phrase here is the *current* source files. The previous ones
	DID NOT contain such a notice, and various hacked-up versions
	of jove is based on the very original, that was sent around long
	before 1984. What is this ??? Regressive copyrighting ??? I am
	getting very tired of this nonsense. The latest version Jonathan
	has released, and the one coming with 4.3 is out of bounds, for
	sure. But anything before that is *not* covered. In fact, if
	u-emacs does not turn out to be a superior replacement for
	jove, I fully intend to hack an earlier version, replace the
	regexp and temp-I/O code (two portions of code that limits
	distribution of JOVE) and POST IT TO THE NET. For your info,
	Un*x or non-Un*x, rest of the World already GOT jove. You see,
	it was included in the DECUS 85 Spring symposium tapes !!!

>Jon checked this summer with the folks at Unison World, and they told him
>it was okay for him to continue to release JOVE to people on "real"
>machines (Vaxes, etc.) since that was not their intended market (micros)
>anyway.

	Gee.. How nice of them !

Oz
--
Usenet: [decvax|allegra|linus|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti]
		In the beginning, there was Word all right, except
		it wasn't fixed number of bits.

movshon@acf8.UUCP (Tony Movshon) (02/07/86)

The new versions of JOVE may indeed be copyrighted, but the original
contains no copyright notices of any kind and I am treating it as
public domain. In fact, having recently spent some time working on
Ken Mitchum's version (including adapting it to the DEC Rainbow) I
resent the implication of the earlier net postings that something
that USED to be public domain can be withdrawn. For the information
of any who wish to flame about this, the version I use as a basis
is a combination of Ken Mitchum's hack of the 5/83 LSRHS version
and a version with some improvements made by Doug Kingston at BRL.
Also for the information of flamers, I intend to push my version
out through the usual public-access micro routes when it's all
polished up and ready to go.

It's nice that new versions of (non-PD) JOVE will have enhancements
and fixes. Old JOVE is still pretty good, though.

				Tony Movshon
				Psychology/NYU

arpa:	xp!tony@nyu or movshon@acf8
uucp:	{seismo|allegra|ihnp4}!cmcl2!xp!tony

ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/07/86)

> 	Recently there were articles posted concerning the availability of
> public domain PC JOVE source.  I have the source to jove (from a friend of the
> author) and as far as I know, PC JOVE IS NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.  The source
> contains explicit copyright notices and it does not give permission to copy
> for non-commercial purposes.  Furthermore, I was asked not to give the source
> or the executable to anyone.  If you see a PD PC JOVE, it is probably very
> old, or stolen.
>
> 	Attempts at contacting Jonathan are being made, but he is no longer
> in touch with civilization (i.e. the USENET, :-).

Jove first appeared on a USENIX distribution tape.  BRL has been with
permission distributing the JOVE sources with our release of BSD UNIX.
Mike Muuss assures me that Jonathon Payne has indicated that it is OK
to give jove out to anyone.  I was only concerned because I believe
our distribution consists of pieces of UNIX source code as well as
the JOVE code and hence we only distributed it to people with UNIX
source licenses.

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (02/08/86)

Isn't there an awful lot of discussion going on here?  Too much for net.sources?

brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) (02/10/86)

In article <137@ttidcc.UUCP> mab@ttidcb.UUCP (The Root-Vax ) writes:
>Each file contains a copyright notice with
>text saying the jove for UNIX is free, and you may make copies for "licensed
>UNIX systems", but that under no conditions can copies be made for "micro-
>computers".

I have a question now.  Which UNIX license is required and how can JOVE be
obtained?  Thanx.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

greg@unlv.UUCP (Greg Wohletz) (02/11/86)

In article <320@yetti.UUCP> oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>In article <3704@pur-ee.UUCP> davy@pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) writes:
>>
>>Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
>>The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:
>>
>>/*************************************************************************
>> * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
>> * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
>> * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
>> * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
>> * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
>> *************************************************************************/
>>
>	Key phrase here is the *current* source files. The previous ones
>	DID NOT contain such a notice, and various hacked-up versions
>	of jove is based on the very original, that was sent around long
>	before 1984. What is this ??? Regressive copyrighting ??? I am
>	getting very tired of this nonsense. The latest version Jonathan
>	has released, and the one coming with 4.3 is out of bounds, for
>	sure. But anything before that is *not* covered. In fact, if
>	u-emacs does not turn out to be a superior replacement for
>	jove, I fully intend to hack an earlier version, replace the
>	regexp and temp-I/O code (two portions of code that limits
>	distribution of JOVE) and POST IT TO THE NET. For your info,
>	Un*x or non-Un*x, rest of the World already GOT jove. You see,
>	it was included in the DECUS 85 Spring symposium tapes !!!
>
>>Jon checked this summer with the folks at Unison World, and they told him
>>it was okay for him to continue to release JOVE to people on "real"
>>machines (Vaxes, etc.) since that was not their intended market (micros)
>>anyway.
>>
>	Gee.. How nice of them !

Get this discussion the hell out of net.sources!  Followups will go to net.emacs

University of Nevada, Las Vegas			--Greg Wohletz
"Death to Kate Bush"				greg%unlv@CSNet-Relay
"Long live Stevie Ray Vaughan"			seismo!unrvax!unlv!greg

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (02/11/86)

In article <320@yetti.UUCP> oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>In article <3704@pur-ee.UUCP> davy@pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) writes:
>>
>>Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
>>The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:
>>
>>/*************************************************************************
>> * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
>> * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
>> * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
>> * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
>> * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
>> *************************************************************************/

This notice contains two parts:
 1) it is free for licensed UNIX systems. I can't see anyone claiming that
this doesn't include the ATT7300.
 2) you may not SELL (emphasis mine)
    a) copies of this program
    b) versions modified for use on a microcomputer.

Item two does not seem to prohibit personal use of the program on a
microcomputer. It obviously prohibits sale of such a version, and I doubt
that anyone could miss the fact that giving the PC version away would
reduce sales.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."