[net.sources] HDB uucp

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (x0705) (02/22/86)

In article <346@chinet.UUCP> blm@chinet.UUCP (Brad L. McKinley) writes:
>In article <366@geowhiz.UUCP> larry@geowhiz.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:
>>
>>Why would I want the HDB uucp system?  Just a reasonably clean version or
>>does it offer many other niceities?  Break any old stuff? How can I get a
>>copy?
>
>For that matter, what is the procedure for obtaining any piece of previously
>posted software on the net?  I too would be interested in receiving HDB but
>I never knew who to contact.  To be honest, I'm not even SURE that HDB is
>public domain.  Is their an established procedure for obtaining old postings?

honey danber uucp is NOT public domain, nor has it been posted to the net.
It is a rewrite of uucp by Peter Honeyman, Dave Nowitz, and Brian Redman,
and is available from AT&T.   My lab has about 5 computers; switching
from old-uucp to HDB has saved us about 1 full-time administrator
because uucp is now reliable.  It also knows how to use a variety of
transmission media, including Datakit and Sytek, and supports most
popular autodialing modems (i.e. there's a Dialers file, and you can
add anything you don't have.)

There are some minor problems - it can
do multihop uucp, and so can System V, but the two aren't compatible.
However, multihop never worked in the past, and most people around here
use HDB instead of old-uucp, so nothing broke.
	<temporarily enter commercial mode>
	You can order the source from the AT&T Toolchest 1-201-522-6900,
	login: guest.  Toolchest is a software "mail-order catalog";
	you have to arrange for billing to actually receive software.
	<exit commercial mode>

As far as finding out what's been posted, there are three ways:
	* mod.sources is an organized system, with a moderator who
		keeps everything posted, and periodically posts an
		index of what's avaiilable
	* If the source was posted from the arpanet, with a reference
		to "you can FTP this from SOMEVAX-20", and you're on
		the Arpanet, then you can FTP it.  If you're not on the
		Arpanet (I'm not), send mail to the poster and try to
		explain that not everyone can FTP.
	* Otherwise, if it's expired from your system, post to
		net.wanted.sources "Does anyone have to Ada-to-COBOL
		translator that was posted last year?", etc.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs