[net.sources] DARPA Internet Documents to be posted here in the coming weeks

brian@sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Kantor) (03/03/86)

Over the next few weeks I will be distributing many of the most
important Internet documents on protocols and the like.  These "Request
For Comments" are the key documents to understanding the operation of
many of the DARPA Internet protocols.

Part of the reason I am distributing them here is because many Unix (tm)
systems utilize these protocols as the basis for much of their
networking, mail, and other related items, even though a particular
system might not be connected to the Internet.

Hosts who are connected to the Internet may retrieve these documents
from the Network Information Center (host SRI-NIC.ARPA) with anonymous
FTP.  Uucp hosts can't normally get them, so I'm posting them.

Note that these documents are in line-printer-ready format.  They have
60 or fewer lines per page, 80 or fewer characters per line, and have
only newlines, spaces, and form-feeds in them for format effectors.
They are not available in any other form.

Some of the documents are quite large; I've broken these up into smaller
chunks for distribution.  They are broken at line boundaries; just glue
them back together to get the original document back.  No chunk will
exceed 56KB; most average around 38KB.

If you know of other Darpa Internet RFCs or suchlike that you think
would be a good idea to post, let me know and I'll look into it.

I'm told you may make as many copies and distribute these documents in
any way you'd like.

	Brian Kantor	UCSD Office of Academic Computing
			Academic Network Operations Group

	decvax\ 	brian@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
	ihnp4  >---  sdcsvax  --- brian
	ucbvax/		Kantor@Nosc
Documents to be posted over the next few weeks:

rfc783	THE TFTP PROTOCOL (REVISION 2)
rfc791	INTERNET PROTOCOL
rfc792	INTERNET CONTROL MESSAGE PROTOCOL
rfc793	TRANSMISSION CONTROL PROTOCOL
rfc821	SIMPLE MAIL TRANSFER PROTOCOL
rfc822	STANDARD FOR THE FORMAT OF ARPA INTERNET TEXT MESSAGES
rfc841	SPECIFICATION FOR MESSAGE FORMAT FOR COMPUTER BASED MESSAGE SYSTEMS
rfc850	Standard for Interchange of USENET Messages
rfc854	TELNET PROTOCOL SPECIFICATION
rfc862	Echo Protocol
rfc863	Discard Protocol
rfc864	Character Generator Protocol
rfc865	Quote of the Day Protocol
rfc866	Active Users
rfc867	Daytime Protocol
rfc868	Time Protocol
rfc896	Congestion Control in IP/TCP Internetworks
rfc913	Simple File Transfer Protocol
rfc921	Domain Name System Implementation Schedule - Revised
rfc937	Post Office Protocol - Version 2
rfc948	TWO METHODS FOR THE TRANSMISSION OF IP DATAGRAMS OVER IEEE 802.3 NETWORKS
rfc950	Internet Standard Subnetting Procedure
rfc956	Algorithms for Synchronizing Network Clocks
rfc957	Experiments in Network Clock Synchronization
rfc958	Network Time Protocol (NTP)
rfc959	FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL (FTP)
rfc960	ASSIGNED NUMBERS
rfc961	OFFICIAL ARPA-INTERNET PROTOCOLS

dml@bu-cs.UUCP (David Matthew Lyle) (03/04/86)

A lot of the DoD/ARPA/Internet documents are also available from
INFO@csnet-sh.arpa.  Information on how to use the CSNET Info system
were in the last CSNET Newsletter, that I suspect, all CSNET sites
should have gotten.

David Matthew Lyle                               Boston University

BITNET: cdstdt1@bostonu
            dml@buenga
ARPA:      matt@mit-mc(Until it Dies)            233 Bay State Road
CSNET:      dml@bostonu                          Boston, Massachusetts 02215

brian@sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Kantor) (03/05/86)

In article <1498@sdcsvax.UUCP> I wrote:
>Over the next few weeks I will be distributing many of the most
>important Internet documents on protocols and the like.

Actually, mod.sources.doc is a much better place.  And the RFCs
will be posted there, now that its actually being set up.

Problem was that although the group mod.sources.doc had been officially
announced, many North American hosts never received the newgroup
message.  And there were news problems on the machine that was supposed
to be the moderator's host and message archive.  Through the valiant
efforts of Mark Horton and Ron Natalie (the moderator for the group)
and some assistance from Erik Fair, we are trying to get the
mod.sources.doc newsgroup working (including the ARPA/USENET gateway
for it) and when we do, I'll post the remaining RFCs there.

So hang in there.  And thanks to all of you for your comments and
encouragement.  And no, there isn't a better place to have posted this