[net.sources] NO! Re: Sources for PC-Shell

tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (09/05/86)

> In article <804@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> boesch@Shasta.UUCP (Brian Boesch) writes:
> >-----------------------------
> >A while back, a unix like shell was posted to the net called PCSHELL
> >the shell supported Unix like commands for the pc and included
> >more,frep,history ...
> >
> >Does anyone still have the sources for these that could mail them to
> >me?
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >   Brian Boesch   Boesch@su-shasta.EDU (arpanet)
>
> I'd like to insert my request also.

NO!
The two versions I saw put my PCs (Compaq, PC1,
PCAT, and AT&T PC) to sleep.  I heard and saw
several similar complaints.

Unless well debugged, and *tested* on several PC
compatibles, PLEASE REFRAIN from posting.

thank-you

psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (Peter Fales) (09/06/86)

> > In article <804@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> boesch@Shasta.UUCP (Brian Boesch) writes:
> > >-----------------------------
> > >A while back, a unix like shell was posted to the net called PCSHELL
> > >the shell supported Unix like commands for the pc and included
> > >more,frep,history ...
> > >
> > >Does anyone still have the sources for these that could mail them to
> > >me?
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance
> > >   Brian Boesch   Boesch@su-shasta.EDU (arpanet)
> >
> > I'd like to insert my request also.
> >
> NO!
> The two versions I saw put my PCs (Compaq, PC1,
> PCAT, and AT&T PC) to sleep.  I heard and saw
> several similar complaints.
>
> Unless well debugged, and *tested* on several PC
> compatibles, PLEASE REFRAIN from posting.
>
> thank-you

In defense of the original poster...  I have run the version of PC-SHELL
downloaded from the net on my AT&T PC 6300 with no apparent problems.

al@condor.UUCP (Al Gudaitis) (09/07/86)

> > NO!
> > The two versions I saw put my PCs (Compaq, PC1,
> > PCAT, and AT&T PC) to sleep.  I heard and saw
> > several similar complaints.
> >
> > Unless well debugged, and *tested* on several PC
> > compatibles, PLEASE REFRAIN from posting.
> >
> > thank-you
>
> In defense of the original poster...  I have run the version of PC-SHELL
> downloaded from the net on my AT&T PC 6300 with no apparent problems.

I have run PC-SHELL on an IBM PC/XT an IBM PC/AT and a Wells American AT clone
(a nice machine, by the way), and it has worked beautifully.  I can only
suggest that for those who find it crashing, to check whether they downloaded
it in binary format or in text file format (those extra CR's in front of "NL's"
sure wreck havoc with microprocessor programs).

However, in the documentation for the PC-SHELL, didn't the author say that he
would like a "donation" of >$25 for a disk with the sources and some utility
programs.  It sounds like it would be a bargain, to me.

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (09/08/86)

In article <968@whuts.UUCP> tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:
>> In article <804@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> boesch@Shasta.UUCP (Brian Boesch) writes:
>> >A while back, a unix like shell was posted to the net called PCSHELL
>> >Does anyone still have the sources for these that could mail them to
>> >me?
>> >

>NO!
>The two versions I saw put my PCs (Compaq, PC1,
>PCAT, and AT&T PC) to sleep.  I heard and saw
>several similar complaints.

It works JUST FINE on my PC-1 (both before and after the ROM upgrade).

keith