[net.sources] Help : access to BITNET and ARPA-Net via UUCP net?

shapiro@oucs.UUCP (Brian Shapiro) (10/13/86)

Help!

I am seeking information with explanations on sending mail between users
on BITNET, ARPA-net and UUCP net. An explanation would be helpful as would
a list of gateway type machines. Any help that could be rendered would be
greatly appreciated.

Brian Shapiro
Ohio University Computing and Learning Services
220 Haning Hall
Athens, Ohio   45701

BITNET Address : SHAPIRO at OUACCVMA

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP@ndmce.uucp (Dan Ehrlich) (10/17/86)

Penn State is a UUCP <=> BITNET gateway.  The easiest way to get things
on to the BITNET is to use an address of the following form:

	...!ihnp4!psuvax1!SITENAME.BITNET!user

As for ARPA gateways, I belive that the site WISCVM.BITNET is a BITNET
to ARPA net gateway so the following might work:

	...!ihnp4!psuvax1!WISCVM.BITNET!sitename.arpa!user

I cannot be sure that the above is correct but it feels right.

--Daniel Ehrlich
CSNET:	  ehrlich@penn-state.csnet	USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu	      Department of Computer Science
UUCP: 	  ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!ehrlich	      334B Whitmore Laboratory
BITNET:	  ehrlich@psuvax1.bitnet	      University Park, PA   16802
					BELL: (814) 863-1142
"The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing."  Judge Harold T. Stone

tiwary@hpsrla.HP.COM (Ashutosh Tiwary) (10/18/86)

Me too.
	I am looking for a way to get to BITNET, CSNET, Internet etc. from
unix mail. Can anyone out there be of help.

Ashutosh Tiwary,

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) (10/21/86)

In article <610004@hpsrla.HP.COM> tiwary@hpsrla.HP.COM (Ashutosh Tiwary) writes:
>>Me too.
>>	I am looking for a way to get to BITNET, CSNET, Internet etc. from
>>unix mail. Can anyone out there be of help.
>>

>>Ashutosh Tiwary,

	The Computer Science departmet here at Penn State acts as a UUCP
	to BITNET/CSNET gateway.  Use an address of the form:

		...!psuvax1!host.BITNET!user		uucp <-> BITNET

			or

		...!psuvax1!host.CSNET!user		uucp <-> CSNET

	The host WISCVM.BITNET is an Internet <-> BITNET gateway so the
	following should work to get to the Internet:

		...!psuvax1!WISCVM.BITNET!host.domain!user

	If you have any problems send me a message and I will try to
	help.

--Daniel Ehrlich
CSNET:	  ehrlich@penn-state.csnet	USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu	      Department of Computer Science
UUCP: 	  ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!ehrlich	      333 Whitmore Laboratory

jon@nsc.UUCP (Jon Ryshpan) (10/22/86)

In article <610004@hpsrla.HP.COM> tiwary@hpsrla.HP.COM (Ashutosh Tiwary) writes:
>Me too.
>	I am looking for a way to get to BITNET, CSNET, Internet etc. from
>unix mail. Can anyone out there be of help.

Everyone interested in internet communications should read the article
in the latest issue of CACM (Communications of the Association for
Computing Machinery)
--

  Jonathan Ryshpan   MS D3645		USENET: ...hplabs!nsc!blit!jon
  National Semiconductor		ARPA:   decwrl!nsc!blit!jon@ucbvax.arpa

plocher@puff.wisc.edu (John Plocher) (10/22/86)

jon@nsc.UUCP (Jon Ryshpan) responds to:
> tiwary@hpsrla.HP.COM (Ashutosh Tiwary) who chimes in with:
>> (someone who is more than 2 weeks old) who pleads:
>> Me too...
>>	I am looking for a way to get to BITNET, CSNET, Internet etc. from
>>unix mail. Can anyone out there be of help.

 <sorry I'm doing it too...>

FLAME ON VERY HOT>

  This seems to happen every month or so; what can a person do about it?

  This is net.sources.   SOURCES    S O U R C E S   can *you* say "source code"?
	      ^^^^^^^
  Discussions about programs should go in net.sources.d
  This reply should go in net.sources.d, but I don't know if the above
    people even know net.sources.d exists!
  Requests should go in net.wanted.sources

  PLEASE!  The noise to signal ratio is getting MUCH TOO HIGH in this group!

FLAME OFF>

--
"Never trust an idea you get sitting down" - Nietzche
------------	{harvard,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)