[net.sources] c source code utilities wanted

arnold2@rose.berkeley.edu (The Joker) (11/23/86)

	- SOURCE? - SOURCE? - SOURCE? - SOURCE? - SOURCE? - SOURCE? -

could  someone send me  complete portable c  source code  modules  to utilities
such  as linked list routines  (b-trees, avl trees, add_node()/delete_node...),
perhaps a window package (something equivalent to OSSI, only in C, not Pascal),
interprocess  communication  routines,  terminal emulation,  perhaps  a  memory
manager? i just discovered the network news; lately i have  been  thinking that
i am spending  an  enormous  amount of time  writing code that  already exists.
portabile object-oriented code is preferred as much as possible.
if anyone would like to swap code, please let me know.
-mchawi

guido@mcvax.UUCP (Guido van Rossum) (11/26/86)

In article <1753@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> arnold2@rose.berkeley.edu.UUCP (The
Joker) writes:
>i just discovered the network news; lately i have  been  thinking that
>i am spending  an  enormous  amount of time  writing code that  already exists.

If you read the net news somewhat longer, you'll discover that very
little of this kind comes along.  Sure, it's all been written a thousand
times; but always with one particular goal in mind, so you won't be able
to reuse it easily in your own programs.  Posted programs are usually
hyper-specific, e.g., plot the USENET map.

And now for some positive criticism:

Hint 1: Learn when to type capital letters.
Hint 2: Don't align your right margins.  It  doesn't  look  right  when
your  words  are  all  two  spaces  apart.
Hint 3: Use your real name when posting to the net.
Hint 4: Writing the code is usually trivial, once you master the
technique.  Read any good textbook on the of algorithms you need, and
you'll beat anything you can get for free hands down.

	Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <guido@mcvax.uucp>