[net.sources] Rogomatic Update / User survey

mlm@cad.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/17/87)

There are three parts to this message, one or more may apply to you:

  o Current status of Rogomatic
  o Availability of source
  o User survey request		*** all Rogomatic users please read ***

1. Current Status of Rogomatic

I have gotten some requests for the "latest" version of Rogomatic.
The latest version is still Rog-O-Matic XIV, which is over a year old.
This version plays Rogue 3.6, 5.2, and 5.3.  It does not play Rogue
5.4, Urogue, hack, moria, or larn.  Here are the total winners I have
been told about:

  Damon Permezel <allegra!watmath!dapermezel@Berkeley>, Rogue 5.2
  Oct 10, 1983 dapermez    2347 total winner       26  74   18  -5 14/58312

  Dan Reynolds <dan@ut-ngp.ARPA>, Rogue 5.3
  Feb 16, 1984 reynolds   11316 total winner       26 100   20  10 13/34121

  Ewald Detjens <seismo!philabs!prls!detjens@rochester.arpa>, Rogue 5.3
  Mar 15, 1985 wolsheim   12305 total winner       26  97   23  -4 14/77333

  Troy Torgerson <ttorgers%udenver.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>, Rogue 5.2
  Jun 23, 1986 ttorgers   14857 total winner       26

The program is not currently under active development, and is in fact
only weakly supported by me.  There are reportedly efforts underway
around the globe to port Rogomatic to other versions of Rogue and Hack.
Nobody has reporeted success to me.

2. Availability of sources

Three things are avilable to any and all who ask

  o the source to Rogomatic XIV			netmail or FTP
  o the source to Rogue 3.6			netmail or FTP
  o CMU Technical report CMU-CS-83-144		US Post

FTP users may access G.CS.CMU.EDU, account 'ftpguest', password 'cmunix'
There are two files of interest:

	mlm/rgm/rgm14.tar.Z	compressed tar file of Rogomatic XIV source
	mlm/rgm/rog36.tar.Z	compressed tar file of Rogue 3.6 source

If you use FTP to get a copy of either of these files, please send me
mail indicating that you have a copy of Rogomatic and/or Rogue.  This
is the only stipulation in the Copyright notice: YOU MUST NOTIFY ME
THAT YOU HAVE ROGOMATIC!  This is mainly for my own amusement (so I can
update my "Rogomatic conquers the world" map, and so I can send mail to
all Rogomatic users).  You are welcome to copy/modify/redistribute
Rogomatic (but not Rogue), so long as the recipient(s) obey the
notifictiation requirement.

If you cannot access FTP, the sources are available by netmail.  To
receive the sources by mail, send me netmail, and provide a return path
that does not go through SEISMO (they have requested that I not send
Rogomatic through their machine).  Rogomatic is shipped as 12 shar
files each about 42k bytes long.

Finally, the Technical Report "ROGOMATIC: A Belligerent Expert System"
is available for free by US Mail.  Just send me a note requesting the
tech report and giving a valid physical mail address.

3. User survey, all Rogomatic users

If you have a copy of Rogomatic (or just run the copy at your site),
please fill out the following form and send it in the mail with the
words "rogomatic survey" in the subject line.

Name:			____________________
Net address:		____________________
Site:			____________________
Rogue version:		____________________ (eg: 3.6, 5.2, or 5.3)
Best score:		____________________
City/State/Country:	____________________ (eg: Pittsburgh/PA/USA)
Longitude:		____________________ (eg: 80 00 00 W)
Latitude:		____________________ (eg: 40 26 19 N)

If you would be so kind, include the following additional information:

  o The output of "rogue -s" at your site
  o The output of "rogomatic -s | head -20" at your site
  o The output of "gene -f" at your site

If you can't get mail back to me, print out the results and send me US Mail.

Foreign Users:  at least fill out the first part of the form; I really
want to know which countries are running Rogmatic.

I plan to collect all of this information to put together (1) an
analysis of how well Rogomatic actually plays, and (2) the best possible
gene pool.  Be a part of the largest distributed computation in history!

Michael L. Mauldin (Fuzzy)		Department of Computer Science
ARPA: Michael.Mauldin@CAD.CS.CMU.EDU	Carnegie-Mellon University
Phone: (412) 268-3065			Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3890

ems@prls.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <1050@cad.cs.cmu.edu> mlm@cad.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Mauldin) writes:

  { several lines deleted -gpv}

>If you cannot access FTP, the sources are available by netmail.  To
>receive the sources by mail, send me netmail, and provide a return path
>that does not go through SEISMO (they have requested that I not send
>Rogomatic through their machine).  Rogomatic is shipped as 12 shar
>files each about 42k bytes long.

   I would imagine that there may be several machine on the net that don't
 want your sources passing through !  Don't forget, many of the 'network'
 connections are just 300 baud dial up lines ( UUCP connections for instance).
 Let's see;  42K byte files
           x 12  shar files  = 504K bytes + shar header and control lines

   504K bytes = (8 data bits + 1 stop bit + 1 start bit) per byte = 5Mbits
   At 300 baud I figure several UUCP sites will have their modems tied up
   for 4.7 hours !!
   I wonder how many suprised System Administraters are going to find
themselves 'on the carpet' (again) trying to justify the cost of their long
distance UUCP connection(s).