[net.chess] Legal Move/Board Position*3

mclure@SRI-UNIX@sri-unix (12/12/82)

Date: 10 Dec 1982 1100-PST
From: Michael O. Newton <Newton at CIT-20>
Subject: Legal Move/Board Position*3
To: chess at SRI-UNIX

	Does anyone know what chess board position has the most number
of legal moves for the player to move?  By board position I include other
state information: En Passent square, castling allowed bits ...

	What position maximizes the number of states three plies away,
i.e: what position will lead to the most number of board positions after
the current move is done, a reply given and then another move.  What
percentage of the paths are redundant?  What is the position with
the most number of paths, but not necessarily the most number of positions
after 3 ply?

	If anyone has any comment/pointers/... on the above it would
be helpful for a project I've been working on.

mike