[net.sources] Crypt - a suggestion

garyp@cognos.UUCP (Gary Puckering) (02/25/87)

I see Crypt as a tool similar to compress in it's usage.  Therefore, I
suggest that crypt should work like compress.  That is, it's syntax
should be something like this:

  crypt [ -k key ] file ...

In this form, any file which is encrypted would be replaced with a file
of the same name but with a suffix to indicate such.  Compress uses ".Z"
as it's suffix -- perhaps crypt could use ".X".

If the key were not provided in thhe command line, then crypt (or
decrypt) would prompt for it (once) just as it does now.

Any comments?
--
Gary Puckering        3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated   Ottawa, Ontario       decvax!utzoo!dciem!

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (02/28/87)

I agree, a crypt which used a compress style command line would
make more sense.  However, how do we convince AT&T of this, and
then get them to distribute fixes for everyone?

Not to worry, there has been published, in source code form, an
implimentation of the Unix crypt algorithm.  It could be easily
be modified and distributed on the net.  See the February 1987
issue of Computer Language, in an article by Alan Filipski.

						Greg Woods.

janm@runx.ips.oz (Jan Mikkelsen) (03/06/87)

The only problem with entering the key on the command line is that it
can be seen with the 'ps' or the 'w' commands, giving away the key. This
is mentioned in one of the manuals. Which one escapes me now, however.

			Jan Mikkelsen
---

ACSnet: janm@runx.ips.oz		JANET:	runx.ips.oz!janm@ukc
ARPA:   janm%runx.ips.oz@seismo.css.gov	CSNET:	janm@runx.ips.oz
UUCP:   {enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!janm

pdg@ihdev.ATT.COM (P. D. Guthrie) (03/09/87)

In article <707@runx.ips.oz> janm@runx.OZ (Jan Mikkelsen) writes:
>The only problem with entering the key on the command line is that it
>can be seen with the 'ps' or the 'w' commands, giving away the key. This
>is mentioned in one of the manuals. Which one escapes me now, however.

Nope, both system V and Bezerkeley versions of crypt immediately
destroy (by writing nulls over the argument) any indication of the arg
(after copying it into another internal buffer).  This way, it is
*not* visible on the command line, unless you hit it at exactly the
right spot.  So it's not too much of a security glitch.

--

Paul Guthrie
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg			This Brain left intentionally blank.

shipley@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Peter Shipley) (03/10/87)

In article <1274@ihdev.ATT.COM> pdg@ihdev.UUCP (55224-P. D. Guthrie) writes:
>In article <707@runx.ips.oz> janm@runx.OZ (Jan Mikkelsen) writes:
>>The only problem with entering the key on the command line is that it
>>can be seen with the 'ps' or the 'w' commands, giving away the key. This
>>is mentioned in one of the manuals. Which one escapes me now, however.
>
>Nope, both system V and Bezerkeley versions of crypt immediately
>destroy (by writing nulls over the argument) any indication of the arg
>(after copying it into another internal buffer).  This way, it is
>*not* visible on the command line, unless you hit it at exactly the
>right spot.  So it's not too much of a security glitch.

What if someone looks in your ".savehist" file?

John O'Conner
email:   shipley@miro.berkeley.edu     Flames:  cc-29@cory.berkeley.edu
         ucbvax!miro!shipley                    ucbvax!cory!cc-29

Spelling                                Quote:  "Then one night I saw the
corections: /dev/null                            light and now there
                                                 is nothing more to see"

charles@hpcvcd.UUCP (03/11/87)

>Nope, both system V and Bezerkeley versions of crypt immediately
>destroy (by writing nulls over the argument) any indication of the arg

>		So it's not too much of a security glitch.

Ah, but if you are using ksh or csh, it is visible in your .history
file.  Is your .history readable?

	Charles Brown

zeta@runx.UUCP (03/21/87)

Please post sources - leave crypt discussions to comp.unix.wizards

Flame to: /dev/null