[net.sources] RATFOR

jzj@ornl-msr.arpa (04/02/87)

We have recently received some source code which is written in RATFOR and
would like to convert this into Fortran-77 code.  By "convert", I mean
a one-time conversion which will keep the new code in a readable (and
maintainable) form.

For those of you who have not dealt with RATFOR, RATFOR is FORTRAN pre-
processor which gives "structure" to FORTRAN programs.  It was used mostly
with FORTRAN-IV which did not have any structured program statements.
Unfortunately, the code it produces for the FORTRAN compiler is not the kind
of code you wish to maintain.

We have two requests for sources:
1.  Is there a variant on the RATFOR pre-processor which generates code
    using the control structures found in FORTRAN-77?

2.  If not 1., does anyone have the original source for the RATFOR pre-
    processor?

The system we are running on is VAX/VMS, but hopefully this a general type
request.

Thanks in Advance,
Jeff Jones
JZJ@ORNL-MSR

hjg@bunker.UUCP (04/03/87)

In article <6658@brl-adm.ARPA> jzj@ornl-msr.arpa (Jeff Jones) writes:

>We have two requests for sources:
>1.  Is there a variant on the RATFOR pre-processor which generates code
>    using the control structures found in FORTRAN-77?
>
>2.  If not 1., does anyone have the original source for the RATFOR pre-
>    processor?

I believe you will find the original RATFOR preprocessor in the book
_SOFTWARE TOOLS_, by Kergnihan and Plauger, Addison-Wesley (1975?).
			 ^

		      (spelling?) (sorry about that)

				Harry Gross
				..!bunker!hjg