[net.chess] chess micro trivia

mclure@SRI-Unix (02/18/83)

Date: 17 Feb 1983 1431-EST
From: RTILLSON.MERRILL at DEC-MARLBORO
To: mclure at SRI-UNIX
Subject: chess micro trivia

Please forward this to the CHESS mailing list.  The local mailer is dying
waiting for FTP signals.  Thx.
Subject: micros vs. human "postal" play

A friend of mine became bored with his Fidelity Chess Challenger and
loaned it to me to play with.  I've beaten it in recorded games at Q odds
with the lower levels of play.  All higher modes take much too long to play
a serious game, so I devised a way of playing it at its highest levels
that mostly resemble a postal chess game.  I make my move, go to sleep,
and maybe play another move in the morning, or else go to work, and have
another move ready at night.  This Fidelity had a 24 hr mode of play that
was touted as playing very well.  It was very easy to beat both of these
levels and  I was spending about an average of 5-10 min. of thought on
my replies, not counting the time it spent thinking.  My own rating is
not exceptionally high (Cat. I), so I'm really not certain on what it is
evaluating during these long periods.  Hopefully, some of the newer models
can do better.  I think this was a Challenger X.  How many people on this
list own or have friends that own a micro chess player?  What are your
results?  Do you tend to find better lines than other people by using your
knowledge of the computers limitations?

	By the way, there is a way to crash that particular model.  If
someone has a later edition, I would be interested if it was fixed.  Otherwise
you have to power it down to reset the machine.

					/Brad Merrill
					RTILLSON.MERRILL@DEC-MARLBORO
   --------

[Sounds like that's one of the old, very weak models.  The only micros
today that could give you a run for your money at normal tournament
time controls are the Fidelity top-of-the-line Prestige and its
predecessor Elite.  These are weak class A / strong class B players at
3 mins / move.  At one or two days per move (see my last message for a
sample of such games), they are undoubtedly of expert caliber since
they are usually able to complete full 8 ply searches, and sometimes a
bit deeper.  There are some fairly impressive combinations in those
game listings I sent earlier.  --Stuart]