[net.sources] Public domain software proclamation -- be careful!

rcj@moss.ATT.COM (04/13/87)

In article <4477@utah-cs.UUCP> cetron@cs.utah.edu.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) writes:
>	Most companies make it very clear what is yours and what is theirs.
>And I seem to remember the big court case about some guy from sears and
>wrenches which ruled that what you do on your own time is yours.

Most companies do indeed, including AT&T -- ANYTHING you do is theirs while
you work for them.  I posted a PD version of dup2() a couple of years ago
(there had already been two almost-identical PD versions posted).  I got
a call from an AT&T corporate lawyer who subsequently sent me copies of the
copyright-type agreement I had signed, the pertinent company instructions on
the matter, and a personal letter telling me that it was decidedly NOT up
to me to decide that this piece of software was, as I had put it, "the
definition of the word 'trivial'" in nature.

>	The only place that I know of where this IS a problem is with graduate
>student employees in universitys.

Now you know of another 'lil ole place -- AT&T.

The MAD Programmer -- 201-386-4295 (Cornet 232)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!rcj
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!rcj

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (04/14/87)

In article <8411@clyde.ATT.COM> rcj@moss.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) writes:

>Most companies do indeed, including AT&T -- ANYTHING you do is theirs
>while you work for them.

Glad you think so; that's what they want.

>I posted a PD version of dup2() a couple of years ago [...].  I got a
>call from an AT&T corporate lawyer who subsequently sent me copies of
>the [...] agreement I had signed

You mean AT&T is _spying_ on its empoyees?   Violating their privacy by
monitoring this public forum (what would the NSA think?) :-)

>Now you know of another 'lil ole place -- AT&T.

Now I know of another place that likes to create it's own legal
system, by intimidating its employees.  (Is this the kind of place you
would want to work, John? :-))

Seriously, what you do on your own time is yours, even if you use
company equipment to do it, _if_ it is not a part of your job.

For example, if you work for AT&T as a computer systems developer or
researcher, and you invent true AI in the middle of the night, while
you are home in bed, it's theirs.  But if you're a secretary and you
do the same thing, it belongs to you, legally invalid employment
agreements notwithstanding.

Now, if you're AT&T, and this happens, you have 3 options:

1) Help the secretary obtain legal protection for his/her invention
(ie.  patent, or whatever).  Help him/her publicize and market it, so
s/he can make lots of money, and everyone gets to use this great new
thing (including you)

2) Ignore it, so no one benefits.

3) Intimidate him/her with calls from the AT&T legal assault team,
pages of legalese, threats, warnings, etc.  When s/he realizes that it
"must" belong to AT&T "because he/she works there", get some big shot
from Bell Labs to look at it, patent it, and assign the patent to
AT&T, and you make LOTS of money.

Which would you do?

Jeff Siegal