[net.sources] PC TCP/IP

murthy@svax.UUCP (04/14/87)

A little while ago, somebody on the net posted something about TCP/IP for
the IBM/PC.  they also posted an internet address for FTP access to the sources.
Does anybody out there remember that address?
--chet--

--chet--
murthy@svax.cs.cornell.edu

	--chet--
In Real Life:		Chet Murthy
ARPA:			murthy@svax.cs.cornell.edu
SnailMail:		Chet Murthy
			Gaslight Village Apts 21-B
			Uptown Road
			Ithaca, NY 14850
Office:			4162 Upson (607) 255-2219
MaBellNet:		(607)-257-5709

roman@sigma.UUCP (Bill Roman) (04/16/87)

Chet Murthy asked where to get Phil Karn's TCP/IP for the IBM PC.  Here's
an excerpt from one of Phil's postings:

>I am maintaining a copy on louie.udel.edu, available by anonymous FTP as
>/pub/net.tar.Z.  Subject to disk space (I'm a guest there), the individual
>files are also under the /pub/net directory.  MS-DOS floppies are available
>from WB6RQN at his callbook address; send him $5 for hist costs.

I unfortunately don't have WB6RQN's address handy.

ddp#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (04/19/87)

The TCP/IP package for PC's better known as PCIP was developed at MIT
using a cross compiler on a UNIX VAX.  In order to make developement
using this package easier, it has been "ported" to the Microsoft
C compiler and Microsoft Macro assembler.  You must have version 3.0
or higher of both the compiler and the assembler.  Also you must have
the Microsoft Make program, Librarian and linker that are distributed
with the compiler and assembler.

To get the CMU Microsoft C version of the PCIP package from the arpanet,
connect to host "te.cc.cmu.edu" with FTP (no quotes when you really type it).
This machine is a TOPS20 system.  Login in as user "anonymous", password
"guest".  Next, use the "cd" command to change your working directory to
"pk:<pcip>".  Now if you do a "dir" command you will get a listing of all the
necessary files.  First, "get" the files "readme" and "install.bat"
in netascii mode.  The rest of the files must be retrieved in binary/octet
mode.  On a UNIX system use the command "tenex" to tell TOPS20 to use a local
byte size of 8 bits.  Now retrieve the files "tarread.exe", "root.tar",
"include.tar", "srcdev.tar", "srclib.tar" and "srccmd.tar".  The file
"doc.tar" is also available if you want the scribe documentation.

Alternatively, you can now retrieve the files via anonymous FTP from host
"lancaster.andrew.cmu.edu".  This host is not yet in the NIC tables, but
should be resolvable via the domain name system.  It's IP address is
"128.2.13.21".  This machine is a 4.2 bsd UNIX system.  After you log in,
use the "cd" command to change your working directory to "pub".  You will
have to retrieve the same set of files as above.

Once you have these on your local machine, use TFTP or some other file
transfer program to get them to your PC.  Put the files under a subdirectory
such as c:\pcip.  Make sure you do the transfers in the proper mode (octet or
ascii, as above).  The file "readme" explains what you have, and how to
proceed farther.  The program tarread.exe is a very small tar file reading
program that I wrote.  It has very few features, but it serves the purpose
here.

Drew Perkins

arpanet: drew.perkins@andrew.cmu.edu
phone:	 (412) 268-6628
US mail: Drew D. Perkins
	 Carnegie-Mellon University
	 4910 Forbes Ave.
	 Pittsburgh, PA 15213

dick@zaphod.UUCP (04/21/87)

In article <1143@sigma.UUCP> roman@sigma.UUCP (Bill Roman) writes:
>Chet Murthy asked where to get Phil Karn's TCP/IP for the IBM PC.[...]
>>[...] MS-DOS floppies are available
>>from WB6RQN at his callbook address; send him $5 for his costs.
>I unfortunately don't have WB6RQN's address handy.

This will probably end up being the 38th posting of this, but what the
heck. . . .

WB6RQN
Brian P. Lloyd
9720 79th Street NW
Tacoma, WA  98498

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!sun!plx!dick

w8sdz@brl-smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (04/25/87)

Phil Karn's TCP/IP is for MS/PCDOS available from SIMTEL20 in
convenient-sized ARC files.  It's available to Internet readers
via FTP and to others via our archive server.  Send me netmail
if you need pointers to the files.
--
Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA