[net.sources] Basic => Anything

cm3381@sjfc.UUCP (Chris Mckechney) (04/22/87)

	Your going to LOVE this....

                I have around 50 programs that I need  translated
into  Pascal, C,or Fortran.

		Well they are written in BASIC.....

I know, I know.....   Please forgive me for asking such  a  lowly
thing  but  has ANYBODY ever even heard a wisper of a notion that
there is a program to translate BASIC into *ANYTHING*?????

                        I've     been     reading     the     old
net.news.everything  and  haven't  seen a thing (not that I would
pay attention).  Any help would be great and most appreciated.

				Thanks.
					Chris McKechney

wpd@athena.mit.edu (William P Doyle) (04/22/87)

In article <429@sjfc.UUCP> cm3381@sjfc.UUCP (Chris Mckechney) writes:
>	Your going to LOVE this....
	^^^^ (sic)
>                I have around 50 programs that I need  translated
>into  Pascal, C,or Fortran.
>		Well they are written in BASIC.....
>...  but  has ANYBODY ever even heard a wisper of a notion that
>there is a program to translate BASIC into *ANYTHING*?????

Perhaps the best solution to this problem would be to get the public
domain BASIC interpreter available from mod.sources, (which, coincidentally,
was written in C,) and use that.  It would be an approximation, of course,
to a true translation, but it could be done. :-)

Disclaimer:  I am always willing to solve a problem by the most obscure or
obtuse method I cna think of, but it may not be the only obscure and obtuse
method available.
               | Patrick Doyle            (617) 253-3261 (msgs) |
               | MIT, E40-358                or 225-8467 (home) |
	       | (617) 253-4231 (work)     410 Memorial Dr.     |
               | wpd@athena.mit.edu        Cambridge, MA 02139  |
               | ...{decvax,ihnp4}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!wpd     |
               |________________________________________________|

gmd1@ihlpf.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <429@sjfc.UUCP>, cm3381@sjfc.UUCP (Chris Mckechney) writes:

>                 I have around 50 programs that I need  translated
> into  Pascal, C,or Fortran.
>
> 		Well they are written in BASIC.....
>
> I know, I know.....   Please forgive me for asking such  a  lowly
> thing  but  has ANYBODY ever even heard a wisper of a notion that
> there is a program to translate BASIC into *ANYTHING*?????

Some time ago I looked into this and found 1 package, called BASTOC,
that will translate from Basic to C.  I've forgotten the price but
you can find it in an advert to Programmer's Connection in one
of the PC magazines.  The only example of it's use was supplied
by the company so I'm not sure it was a good example.  I will try
to locate the company's address over the weekend (I recall my
interest waned when I found out the price and I might have discarded
the information by now).

Greg Doughty
ihnp4!ihlpf!gmd1

rich@se-sd.UUCP (04/24/87)

In article <429@sjfc.UUCP> cm3381@sjfc.UUCP (Chris Mckechney) writes:
>thing  but  has ANYBODY ever even heard a wisper of a notion that
>there is a program to translate BASIC into *ANYTHING*?????

check out the latest PC Magazine (Vol 6 #9).  there is an article on
something called Bas2Pas for converting BASIC to Pascal.

srk@actnyc.UUCP (04/24/87)

In article <429@sjfc.UUCP> cm3381@sjfc.UUCP (Chris Mckechney) writes:

>                I have around 50 programs that I need  translated
>into  Pascal, C,or Fortran.
>
>		Well they are written in BASIC.....
>
>there is a program to translate BASIC into *ANYTHING*?????
>
>					Chris McKechney

Just as a word of hope...I remember in the old days of yore, as an under-
graduate...on our IBM 3033...we had a "BASIC" compiler...actually, it was
a translator to FORTRAN, and then a FORTRAN compiler was called.

gmd1@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Doughty) (04/26/87)

In article <429@sjfc.UUCP>, cm3381@sjfc.UUCP (Chris Mckechney) writes:

> I know, I know.....   Please forgive me for asking such  a  lowly
> thing  but  has ANYBODY ever even heard a wisper of a notion that
> there is a program to translate BASIC into *ANYTHING*?????

Now that I've had a couple of days to dig....

I can't find the info I had on BASTOC but the April 14th '87 issue
of PC magazine (and probably many other issues) carries an
advertizement for PC-Brank on pages 22 - 25.  On page 24
(upper right corner) they list the BASTOC Basic to C translater
for $399.  I've never personally used the package nor do I
know anyone who has so I can't give any recommendations.  I
also haven't ordered anything from PC-Brand so I have no
info, positive or negative, about them either.

Another option is the company:

	Gotoless Conversion
	P.O. Box 50068,
	Denton, TX 76206
	(214)221-0383

They have two packages that might do what you want.  One
is called BAS_PAS and the other BAS_C.  I have a couple
month old price sheet that lists each for $85.  However
the packet of info it came in says the price increased
on April 1 so you will have to contact them.  As with
BASTOC, I have no experience with either package and thus
cannot offer any opinions as to the quality of the translation.

Hope this helps.  If you do buy one or more of the products
I would like to hear how well they worked.

Greg Doughty
ihnp4!ihlpf!gmd1