[net.tv] Even more on "Overnight"

furuta@uw-june (Richard Furuta) (12/12/83)

And so, it went.

The financial argument for canceling Overnight has seemed odd to me, given
the number of commercials that the local station seemed to have been able to
sell on Overnight.  On a given night, I'd estimate about half of the
commercials on the show were paying (mostly for People magazine and local
stores).  On the final show, I was a little startled when I realized that
all but about one and a half minutes of the show's commercials were paying.
There was the standard Preparation H commercial that seems to show up on
most of the network newscasts.  There was a commercial for Apple Computer.
There were several commercials for Radio Shack.  There were the People
magazine commercials.  There were the local commercials for the furniture
store (with easy credit) and for the fancy gadget store.

What kind of company would benefit from buying commercials on a program like
Overnight (he asked rhetorically)?  Well, one natural seems to be the
computer companies.  Many of us have pretty bizarre schedules.  There seems
to have been lots of discussion and support for the program on Usenet and
via electronic mail elsewhere.  Apple and Radio Shack seem to have
recognized this (Apple showed that commercial with the guy who'd apparently
been working all night).

Which leads me to a proposal.  How about if you guys who are influential in
those computer companies which advertise on TV think about contacting NBC
and offering to buy some time on the program should it return to the air.
Based on the Usenet response, I think a case could be made that the program
attracted the kind of person who was most likely to buy a computer.  Even if
they don't buy your computer, they'll think better of you which will help at
recruiting time.  And it can't hurt the program's chances of returning if
NBC feels it has a chance to pay for itself.

			--Rick

			...decvax!uw-beaver!uw-june!furuta (uucp)
			...ucbvax!lbl-csam!uw-beaver!uw-june!furuta
			or
			Furuta@Washington (ARPAnet)

furuta%uw-june@itm.UUCP (Richard Furuta) (12/12/83)