[net.music] Ever wonder why they do that funny \"scene 3/take 5 - SLAP\" bit?

blickstein@speedy.DEC (Dave Blickstein) (06/20/85)

In article <845@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
>I have seen several people claim on this net that the original soundtrack
>to this classic was lost and, hence, all the narration.  Please correct
>me, but I thought the soundtrack (at least at the time this flick was
>made) was recorded right on the film (on the edges?).  If this is so,
>how do you loose the sound and still keep the picture?

Someone else has explained how soundtracks are recorded (not directly on the
film).   I thought I'd just add a little piece of trivia.  You've probably seen
in various movies and tv shows that when a scene is about to be shot, some guy
comes out with a little chalkboard thing, sticks it in front of the camera and
shouts something like "scene 44 take 6", and then slaps a piece of wood on a
hinge against the chalkboard to make a loud noise.  This is called "slating".

The reason why this is done (aside from keeping track of the scene/take) is
to synch the soundtrack to the film.   They use the sound from the slap and
the picture of the piece of wood hitting the slate to determine an exact point
can be aligned.

Incidentally, I was the one who said that the film track was lost to "the
creeping terror".   My source for this was "The Golden Turkey Awards" by
the Medved brothers.   They seem to have done extensive research on each film in
the book, so I have every reason to believe that the soundtrack was indeed
actually lost.

	Dave Blickstein

(UUCP)  {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-orphan!blickstein

(ARPA)  BLICKSTEIN%ORPHAN.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA