[net.tv] Batman

ables@ut-ngp.UUCP (04/23/84)

<sponsored by...>

Well, I saw the movie "Batman" last night on WTBS and it inspired me.
Do any stations around still run the show?  When I lived in South Texas,
a Corpus Christi station used to run it, but that's been 10 years.  The
only time I saw it before that was when I was 5 and 6 years (and I think
that was when it was really on the network, CBS??).
If there any experts out there, please enlighten me:
--What's a good reference book for the show?
--Does anyone have an episode guide for the show?
--Failing answers to these, how long was the show on, and can anyone
  give me some general facts off the top of their head?
Please respond to me, if I actually get answers, I'll repost them.

Stay tuned, same Bat time, same Bat newsgroup...
----
King Ables    Computation Center, Univ. of Texas, Austin, Texas  78712
ARPA:ables@ut-ngp UUCP:{ctvax,ihnp4,kpno,seismo}!ut-sally!ut-ngp!ables

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (04/24/84)

<holy line eaters, Batman!>

Batman still comes on around Boston (7:00 and 3:30 on channel 38 WSBK).
I believe it ran for four years (approx. 1965-69).  It was on CBS.  It
actually came on two nights a week (that's where the same bat time, same
bat channel indicates "tune in tomorrow").  When Batgirl (Yvonne Craig)
joined the show, they were down to one episode a week.
--
                               Be ye moby,
                               for I am moby.

Greg-bo, Prince of Eternia
{decvax!genrad, eagle!mit-vax, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds

msimpson@bbncca.ARPA (Mike Simpson) (04/25/84)

***
25 April 1984.

From: Tom O'Connor (ihuxw!tommyo)
	>> Do you know who knew the true identity of all three of
	>>	our masked marvels?

Seems to me that it was Bruce' faithful butler, Alfred.
Getting down to trivia:  Who played Alfred?  (answers to me,
	because I really don't remember.)
And while you're at it, who played Barbara 'Batgirl' Gordon?
	The name Yvonne DeCarlo comes to mind, but I'm not
	positive.
--
		        -- cheers,
			   Mike Simpson, BBN

paveleck@ihldt.UUCP (Bob Paveleck) (04/26/84)

Wayne's butler) and Batgirl/Barbara Gordon:

Alan Napier played Alfred
Yvonne Craig played Batgirl

						Bob Paveleck
						ihldt!paveleck

P. S. I used to watch Batman all the time when it was in its heyday
(and I was 7-8 years old), but I don't remember some of those villains
at the bottom of the list that was recently posted!  Did they appear
in the Batman movie (I didn't see the entire Batman movie, so they
could've appeared in the parts I didn't see).

gayde@iwu1b.UUCP (Peter Gayde) (04/26/84)

Yvonne Craig played Barbara "Batgirl" Gordon.
Alan Napier played Alfred.
Stafford Repp played Chief O'Hara.
Neil Hamilton played Commisioner Gordon.
--
	Peter Gayde	AT&T Technologies	Naperville, IL
	ihnp4!{iwu1b,ihuxp}!gayde	(312) 979-7598

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (04/26/84)

>P.S.  Do you know who knew the true identity of all 3 of
>      our masked marvels?

If you mean, who know the true identities of Batman, Robin and Batgirl,
Alfred knew all three identities.  I believe it was in the episode in
which Batgirl came to the show that Alfred saw her hidden dressing room.

My apologies for the misinformation on the time that Batman ran and what
station it came on.
--
                               Be ye moby,
                               for I am moby.

Greg-bo, Prince of Eternia
{decvax!genrad, eagle!mit-vax, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds

ma187xcs@sdccsu3.UUCP (04/27/84)

[]
	Wow!  I didn't realize there were so many Bat-villans.
This leads me to my topic. Does anyone know how many words were
used on the show with the prefix 'BAT' ?  This isn't a trivia
question (I don't know the answer), I'm just curious.

Here's my list of Bat-words.

Bat-mobile
Bat-cycle
Bat-copter
Bat-boat
Bat-phone
Bat-computer
Bat-cave
Bat-pole
Bat-signal
Bat-arang   ( you know, the boomarangs that look like bats. )

That's all I can think of, anyone know any more?

Paul "the boy wonder" van de Graaf	U. C. San Diego

		Bat-path:		bat-computer!robin
					sdcsvax!sdccs3!ma187xcs

ron@brl-vgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (04/27/84)

Actually (and it's been a long time) I seemed to remember one episode
of Batman where the Commisioner Gordon knew Batman's identity which was
strange because he didn't in all the others.  Perhaps, I missed some
earlier part of the show where Wayne was pretending we was Batman?  Or
maybe it was just a bad scirpt that week.

-Ron

Does anyone else remeber this?  The show involved Wayne rolling down
the road on a stretcher or something like that.

armstron@sjuvax.UUCP (armstrong) (04/28/84)

Here are some other Bat-miscellania !

bat-shield (you remember, it used to unfold from about 1 square inch to
	   at least 3 square feet)
oceanic bat-sprays of which he often used the Anti-shark-bat-repellant (sp?)

bat-pill (the everything cure-all)

bat-rope

thermal-bat-underwear (used in fighting Mr. Freeze)

Also, let's not forget the bat-shaped hankerchief he used to wipe his eyes
when cat-woman lost one of her nine lives.

Here's another little bit of trivia : How far was it from the bat-cave to
    Gotham City.  (Hint: it was posted on a sign right past the barrier
    that used to flip up and down to allow the bat-mobile to get to and from
    the bat-cave.

				Holy-brain-teasers Batman,
				Len Armstrong
				St. Joseph's University

perl@rdin.UUCP (04/30/84)

<>

Catwoman was portrayed by Lee Meriwether in the Batman movie.
Eartha Kitt played Catwoman in one episode of the series.  All
other portayals of Catwoman were by Julie Newmar.

Anyone care for a trivia question?  How many Batman characters
were played by more than one actor?  I thought that the Riddler
was a candidate, but I was corrected.  (John Astin played the
Puzzler, not the Riddler.)

Also, I couldn't help but notice that most of the actors mentioned
in this article were in Star Trek (Lee Meriwether, Julie Newmar,
Frank Gorshin).  Any interesting parallels here?

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York
philabs!rdin!perl

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/01/84)

As long as we are rubbing bat trivia into the ground, how about listing all
of the boy wonder's super sayings at the same time. Please fill in the
blank in the following statement:

    Holy <something>, Batman!

This should keep things busy for a month or so...

--
From high above Benden weyr, Ch'qui, rider of the plaid dragon Plugh!
Chuq Von Rospach    {amd70,fortune,hplabs}!nsc!chuqui    (408) 733-2600 x242

ninety nine dead baboons, sitting in my living room...

jeff@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Bishop) (05/01/84)

	How about: Holy cardboard Batman! We're all boxed in.

		            Jeff Bishop    || University of Chicago
		      ...ihnp4!oddjob!jeff || Astrology & Astrophysics Center

grw@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Wichman) (05/03/84)

[Heilige Heilbut, Fliedermausmensch!]

    I believe that a bad-guy hypnotized the commisioner, who, under hypnosis
discovered Batman's identity.  Later, he comes out of hypnosis and doesn't
remember a thing.

	    I think.

						-Glenn

llarc@ut-ngp.UUCP (05/03/84)

"bat" ---

You forgot to mention "bat repellant shark spray". This was used in the 1966
Batman feature film.

                                            Trivially yours,
                                               A. T. Campbell
                                               (llarc@ut-ngp)

tgg@hou5e.UUCP (05/03/84)

I think that the audience knew who they all were...

armstron@sjuvax.UUCP (armstrong) (05/03/84)

		Actually Eartha Kitt played the cat-woman in more than just one
appearence, and Frank Gorshin DID play the RIDDLER.  The puzzler was
played by yet another actor. (Although I don't know who).

		Q: Did  Avery Schriver ever play a villian ?

					Len Armstrong
					St. Joseph's University

atc@ut-sally.UUCP (Alvin T. Campbell III) (05/04/84)

"holy red snapper" ?

                                   ---A. T. Campbell---
                                      (atc@ut-sally)

ron@brl-vgr.UUCP (05/04/84)

Of course there was the TV commercial where BATGIRL gets upset that
she's worked there for a long time and gets paid less than Robin.
Citing the equal pay for equal work laws causes Robin to exclaim,

		"Holy Act of Congress"

-Ron

nugent@drutx.UUCP (NugentCP) (05/04/84)

{--}

     I recall an episode where Commissioner Gordon *finally*
figured out Batman's identity.  Batman's response was to dress
Alfred up in a Batman suit and have him make a public appearance
about a block away from where Bruce Wayne was standing with
Gordon.  Gordon wasn't a real bright guy.

paveleck@ihldt.UUCP (Bob Paveleck) (05/09/84)

This is in response to 2 questions posed by Mr. Armstrong in some
previous articles.

(1) If I recall correctly, the distance from the Batcave to Gotham
City posted on the sign was 12 miles (the distance, if not 12 miles,
was definitely a double-digit figure).

(2) I remember Avery Schreiber (of Fritos commercial and Burns &
Schreiber fame) playing some sort of villain in a Batman episode.
I'm not sure what the villain's name was.

					Holy uncertainty, Batman!
					Bob Paveleck
					ihldt!paveleck

dvw@hopd3.UUCP (D. V. Wilkerson) (05/09/84)

I heard this yesterday:  Colonel Gumm (Roger C. Carmel) has captured Batman,
Robin, the Green Hornet (my favorite), and Kato.  Gumm has just turned the
GH into a postage stamp.  Our ever astute Robin says,
        "Holy Human Collector's Item".