[net.music] CD versions of analog albums

PAWKA@nosc-tecr.ARPA (Pawka) (05/28/85)

>   Better yet, the cd runs 55 minutes .. 8 minutes
>   longer than the vinyl version.  Turns out, they've rewarded the cd owner
>   by including extended versions of 4 tracks.  "So Far Away" and "Money For
>   Nothing" have extended instrumental segments.

	Does anyone know of other CD's which are longer than the analog album
version, esp. Jazz?

						Mike
						PAWKA@NOSC-TECR.ARPA

------

JOHN@sri-csl.ARPA (05/29/85)

Here's a couple of CDs from my selection that feature material not on
the analog LPs:

    Bronski Beat -- "The Age of Consent" (total play time - 61:20)
      In addition to the material from the LP, this CD includes the
      12-inch versions of "Smalltown Boy" and "Why?".  Music is gay-
      oriented danceable rock.

    Dutch Swing College Band -- "Digital Dutch" (total play time - 59:18)
      The additional material here is one selection called "Drum Blues".
      Music is big band jazz style.  Mostly instrumental.  Recorded at
      the 1982 Northsea Jazz Festival.

John McLean           <john@sri-csl.arpa>

raj@uci-icsa.ARPA (Richard Johnson) (05/29/85)

The Police "Synchronicity" album has an extra song on CD;
"Murder by Numbers".

jsweet@uci-icsa.ARPA (Jerry Sweet) (05/29/85)

One of the people I work with showed me two different CD versions of
Elton John's Greatest Hits, both with the same order of songs, but one
ending with "Crocodile Rock" and the other adding an extra song (name
forgotten) after that.

-jns

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (06/04/85)

>The Police "Synchronicity" album has an extra song on CD;
>"Murder by Numbers".

True, but the song is a real lightweight.  They might as well have
left it off.

Ben Broder

davida@umd5.UUCP (06/05/85)

> >The Police "Synchronicity" album has an extra song on CD;
> >"Murder by Numbers".
>
> True, but the song is a real lightweight.  They might as well have
> left it off.
>
> Ben Broder

    Oh, c'mon!!  First of all, they weren't asking for only great
songs different on a CD, they were asking for ANY songs different.
'Murder By Numbers' is also one of their good (newer) songs - I
suppose you think 'Mother' was better . . .

Awaiting flames,
David Arnold
University of Maryland CSC Consulting Staff

usenet:  ...!seismo!rglvax!cvl!umd5!davida
ARPA:    davida@umd5.arpa

"The opinions expressed are not those of the author, but of his pet
 cockroach Archie."

*** THIS LINE DOESN'T REALLY EXIST - IT'S YOUR IMAGINATION ***

hsu@cvl.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (06/06/85)

> > >The Police "Synchronicity" album has an extra song on CD;
> > >"Murder by Numbers".
> >
> > True, but the song is a real lightweight.  They might as well have
> > left it off.
> >
> > Ben Broder
>
> 'Murder By Numbers' is also one of their good (newer) songs - I
> suppose you think 'Mother' was better . . .
>
> Awaiting flames,
> David Arnold

Of course, the real reason it's on the CD is of course, that it was on
the cassette version first.  Who ever heard of deleting songs from an album?

-dave hsu

rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (06/09/85)

The new Dire Straights album has extended versions of several songs
on the CD version.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

dave@rocksvax.UUCP (06/11/85)

The Talking Heads = "Stop Making Sense" CD is in a different order,
more like the movie, and has expanded versions of the songs on it.
I can't verify this, but someone I know who saw my CD told me that
that is the case.

Dave

arpa: Sewhuk.HENR@Xerox.ARPA
uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,rochester,amd,sunybcs}!rocksvax!dave

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (06/12/85)

> From:	cvl!hsu	(Dave Hsu)

> Of course, the real reason ["Murder By Numbers" is] on the CD [of SYN-
> CHRONICITY] is of course, that it was on the cassette version first.
> Who ever heard of deleting songs from an album?

I have. The CD of Pat Metheny's "80/81" album is missing (by its own
admission) two tracks, "Open" and "Pretty Scattered". What irks me
about this is that the CD as is is just under 60 minutes long, so it
could have fit either one of those two songs on the CD (though not both)
and only be missing one song instead of two.

As for the original posting, I know of at least two other CD's that have
an extra number. PERFECT STRANGERS by Deep Purple has a song that is also
on the cassette, but not the record. And Sally Oldfield's WATERBEARER has
the song "Mirrors" which was previously available only on the flip side
of the single of "Night of the Hunter's Moon".

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

davida@umd5.UUCP (06/12/85)

> The Talking Heads = "Stop Making Sense" CD is in a different order,
> more like the movie, and has expanded versions of the songs on it.
> I can't verify this, but someone I know who saw my CD told me that
> that is the case.
>
> Dave

    What do you mean by 'in a different order'?  The number and order
of the songs on the CD are exactly the same as that of the album!  The
only difference that I could see were the different ( = extended)
versions of some of the songs.  If I am mistaken, flame away - I have
both the album and the CD (guess which I bought first :-)

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (06/14/85)

In article <2629@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:
>I have. The CD of Pat Metheny's "80/81" album is missing (by its own
>admission) two tracks, "Open" and "Pretty Scattered". What irks me
>about this is that the CD as is is just under 60 minutes long, so it
>could have fit either one of those two songs on the CD (though not both)
>and only be missing one song instead of two.

a CD will hold 75 minutes of music.  record manufacturers are doing
strange things on their popular music CD releases.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (06/17/85)

> And Sally Oldfield's WATERBEARER has
> the song "Mirrors" which was previously available only on the flip side
> of the single of "Night of the Hunter's Moon".

Wait a minute.  My analog copy of Water Bearer has "Mirrors" on it.
It's the last song on side 1.
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (06/21/85)

> From:	watdcsu!herbie	(Herb Chong)

> In article <2629@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:
>> I have. The CD of Pat Metheny's "80/81" album is missing (by its own
>> admission) two tracks, "Open" and "Pretty Scattered". What irks me
>> about this is that the CD as is is just under 60 minutes long, so it
>> could have fit either one of those two songs on the CD (though not both)
>> and only be missing one song instead of two.
>
> a CD will hold 75 minutes of music.  record manufacturers are doing
> strange things on their popular music CD releases.

Exactly! Of the two tracks that they left off the CD, one is (if memory
serves) about 6 minutes long, and the other about 14 minutes long, so
either one (but not both) would've fit on the CD. If I wasn't so lazy a
correspondant, I'd write to ECM to ask them what the scoop was.