[net.tv] Are there alternatives to CABLE TV?

dhd@hou4b.UUCP (08/23/84)

I am disgusted with network television.
I am also disgusted with the alternatives.

The cable company that serves our area says
they will not be running cable to our neighborhood because
the housing density is not great enough
(their cost would be too high).

When I called WHT, they said they didn't know if they would be
serving our area since the cable company had done such a good
job of monopolizing the market
(they were not getting enough orders).

What alternatives can I pursue at this point?
Does anyone out there have any information on dish antennas?
How much are they?
Can I get cable-type programming and channels this way?

					Dan Dawdy
					ATTISL - Holmdel
					hou4b!dhd
					201-834-3650

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (08/24/84)

Your alternatives are:

1) STV -- scrambled UHF programming (mostly movies and sports)
2) MDS -- microwave (mostly movies)
3) DBS -- direct satellite broadcast (to small dishes, still not
          available).  Many of the organizations that filed for
          DBS have now dropped out, apparently deciding that it
          wasn't as lucrative as they originally assumed.

All of the above are the sorts of services to which you can
subscribe when/if available.

As for big dishes and non-paying reception off of satellites, you
can spend a couple of thousand for a dish, but note that over the
next couple of years most of the premium programming sources and
many of the non-premiums will be scrambling with DES-based systems
that are "essentially" uncrackable.  So you might be throwing quite
a bit of money down a black hole.

--Lauren--

chip@t4test.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (08/29/84)