[net.tv] Marionette Shows

msc@qubix.UUCP (Mark Callow) (10/05/84)

> The Thunderbirds have to be the best marionette show of all times.  In
> fact, does anyone know of any others?

>			-- Brad Brahms

Other Marionette Shows:

By the people who brought you Thunderbirds (Gerry and Sylvia Anderson).
In approximate chronological order.
	Torchy
	Twizzle
	Four Feather Falls
	Supercar
	Stingray
	Fireball XL5
	Thunderbirds	(FAB)
	Joe 90
	Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons	(SIG)

	UFO		:-)
	Space 1999	:-)

2 full-length features of the Thunderbirds were made and I don't mean
edited together TV shows.  The first was called "Thunderbirds Are Go".
I can't remember the name of the second one right now.  One of them
featured Cliff Richard and the Shadows.

By others
	Galactic Patrol (or some very similar title)

I don't know how many of these appeared on US TV.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@qubix.UUCP,  qubix!msc@decwrl.ARPA

"Nothing shocks me.  I'm an Engineer."

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (10/05/84)

>  The Thunderbirds have to be the best marionette show of all times.  In
>  fact, does anyone know of any others?

Aw, come on, you've got to be kidding... Who could forget:

		       FIREBALL XL 5

		       and

			 SUPERCAR  ???!!!

Fireball had (to my 6-year old mind, at least) the NEATEST opening sequence..
the XL 5 blasting along a ground rail (rocket sled-like), boosters kicking in,
smoke billowing like hell, 'til it finally hit a ramp at the end, zooming into
the depths of space.  Damn, I wish I could find a video tape with some old
episodes....

Supercar I didn't like as much, but it seemed pretty reasonable (at the time.)

				     Ron Wanttaja
				     (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

"Steve... We're almost out of oxygen pills!"

"Don't worry Venus... There's Fireball Junior!"

hobbit@sunybcs.UUCP (Thomas Pellitieri) (10/08/84)

In his article msc@qubix.UUCP (Mark Callow) writes:
>> The Thunderbirds have to be the best marionette show of all times.  In
>> fact, does anyone know of any others?
>
>>			-- Brad Brahms
>
>Other Marionette Shows:
>
>By the people who brought you Thunderbirds (Gerry and Sylvia Anderson).
>In approximate chronological order.
      ... (a listing followed)
>By others
       ... (who cares? 8-) )
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow

Gerry Anderson has a NEW Super-marionation series in production:
TERRAHAWKS.  There is a nice Behind-the-Scenes review of Gerry's
work and the new series in the November 1984 "Fantasy Empire" #14
(New Media Publishing, 1518 E. Fowler Ave., Tampa, FL 33612).
("FE" specializes in British fiction, esp. Dr Who, Monty Python,
etc.)  To quote the article by Jeremy Benthan (without permission):

"In the words of the first episode: 'Expect the unexpected...'"
"The year is 2020 AD [sic] and a small NASA base on Mars has been
 destroyed by aliens who gloat that this is 'One small step for us,
 but a giant leap towards mankind...'"

Producers are Gerry Anderson and Christopher Burr.  Two 13-episode
series have been produced, with a third in production.

"FE" #12 has an article on the Super-marionation process, which Gerry
has patented.  The 'zine is very good, and there has been a lot of
interesting material in it.  Mostly Dr Who, but also background info
on "Return to Oz", Anderson's shows, Arthurian legend/background/tie-ins,
and just about anything related to British SF/Fantasy/TV.  I highly
recommend it.  If you can't find it locally, write to NMP above.
Subscription rate is $19.95 for 9 months US & Canada, Foreign=$27.95
US funds only, Check or Money Order.
--
				-The Parker Hobbit

UUCP:		{allegra, seismo}!rochester!rocksvax!sunybcs!hobbit
or try		decvax!sunybcs!hobbit
"When your song is over and the words have all been sung
 We'll hold on to the meaning.  Keep your love alive and young"

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (10/16/84)

{ I wish I was a Spaceman, the fastest man alive,
  I'd roam around the Universe, in Fireball XL-5 }

The technique used in these is called  "Supermarionation" tm,

Apparently they got quite sophisticated with the synchronizing
mechanisms.  According to an article in one of the sfx fan rags,
they never actually used micros, it was all done with a huge switch
board similar to a theatrical light panel.

The UFO tv show used several of the Thunderbirds ships.  The whole
reason (according to a magazine interview with the special effects
designer for UFO and its followup Space:1999) was that they had a
whole bunnch of these models which they wanted to get rid of so
they could use the storage space for more important things...

Hutch