[net.tv] St. Elsewhere..why did Bobby Caldwell and Joan Halloran split?

marno@ihuxm.UUCP (Marilyn Ashley) (12/03/84)

Joan Halloran was dumped by the plastic surgeon after he had had an
accident with his zipper.  The injuries that resulted required his
abstention from sex and he became convinced during this period that
his relationship with Joan was only physical, and he wanted more.  She
was devastated by this and has not gotten over it.  She avoids him.

Last year the T.V. Guide published an article on St. Elsewhere and its
rating problems.  Apparently the big guns at MTM decide the show needed
more flash and tried to experiment with some episodes such as the
Irish gang wars (pretty strange episode).  That was also the time that
the plastic surgeon and Joan were introduced on the show.  The big guns
also decided to make some casting changes in order to spice up the show.
The first to go was Kim Myori (Dr. Wendy Armstrong) by T.V. suicide.
Next, it was decided that some other cast members would have smaller
parts on the show.  Kathy Martin would be moved to phsychiatry (although
they did not say how).  The article also mentioned Joan Halloran's
role being reduced to an occasional guest shot.  Now Dr. Peter White
is gone and it looks like Shirley is going to be sent off to the lock
up (be it Jail or an Institution).  Thank God we still have Ehrlich
the pig.  By the way, did anyone catch him on Saturday Night Live?

I hope the people at MTM know what they're doing.  I just read an
article on Hill Street Blues that stated that the writing on that
show is done only by male whites.  I'm really shocked by that.

                                    Marilyn

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (12/06/84)

In article <1159@ihuxm.UUCP> marno@ihuxm.UUCP (Marilyn Ashley) writes:
>Thank God we still have Ehrlich
>the pig.  By the way, did anyone catch him on Saturday Night Live?

Yes, and he was in excellent form, despite mediocre material.  I
particularly liked "Death Plays Trivial Pursuit"

>I hope the people at MTM know what they're doing.  I just read an
>article on Hill Street Blues that stated that the writing on that
>show is done only by male whites.  I'm really shocked by that.
>
>                                    Marilyn

Hmm... actually, who cares WHAT sex they are, as long as they can write
non-sexist (and, obviously, good) teleplays?  I believe that, except for the
first season, this year is the best HSB has ever been.  I'm not that crazy
about St. Elsewhere, though (Jack is beginning to sound like a Greek chorus
with a whine.

					"SPORTS!"
					"God, we'll be here all night..."

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA