[net.tv] MIAMI VICE - Why a Ferrari?

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (01/09/85)

Let me start by saying I DON'T like "cop" shows.
I watched this the other night only because of the reviews on this net.
I was surprised!  This is a very enjoyable program.  I only have one
problem with it.  What are these guys doing running around in a Ferrari?
What I know of vice squads, which isn't much, they usually try to blend
in with the people they are after.  Granted, dope dealers drive expensive
cars.  But are we to believe that the Miami Police Department can lay
down $50,000+ for a car for one of its sections?  I think a used "Pimp
Mobile" would be a lot more believable.  Other than that, I highly suggest
this program!

bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP (B. Banerjee) (01/14/85)

>> cars.  But are we to believe that the Miami Police Department can lay
>> down $50,000+ for a car for one of its sections?  I think a used "Pimp
>> Mobile" would be a lot more believable.  Other than that, I highly suggest

You forgot the coefficient.  That is not just some run of the mill
Quattroporte or Dino.  That is one of the Legendary Ferrari..(Daytona?)
[Damn! It's slipped my mind.  Car and Driver had an article about them
a few months ago].  Anyhow, up the ante at least 4 times.

Regards,

--
				Binayak Banerjee
		{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!bbanerje

jmd@aluxe.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, Pa.) (01/15/85)

> >> cars.  But are we to believe that the Miami Police Department can lay
> >> down $50,000+ for a car for one of its sections?  I think a used "Pimp
> >> Mobile" would be a lot more believable.  Other than that, I highly suggest
>
> You forgot the coefficient.  That is not just some run of the mill
> Quattroporte or Dino.  That is one of the Legendary Ferrari..(Daytona?)
> [Damn! It's slipped my mind.  Car and Driver had an article about them
> a few months ago].  Anyhow, up the ante at least 4 times.

The car used on Miami Vice is a $50,000 replica of the legendary Ferrari.
Wouldn't want to bang up an authentic $150,000 one now whould they?  Would
they?

							Joseph Dakes
							AT&T Bell Laboratories
							Reading, PA
							aluxe!jmd

rs55611@ihuxk.UUCP (Robert E. Schleicher) (01/16/85)

The car on Miami Vice is supposed to be a Daytona Spyder (Ferrari. of
course).  The official model number is 365GTB, I think.  (The 365 is
correct, and stands for the displacement, in CC, of each of the Daytona's
12 cylinders, giving a displacement of 4.4 liters in this marvelous
V-12 (dodecilindri?) engine.)

However, I think I read somewhare that the actual car is a fake
Daytona, from some outfit that takes Corvette chassis and puts very
realistic (to the point of buying trim and interior pieces from
Ferrari) classic Ferrari replicas.  After all, a real Daytona Spyder
is easily above $100,000, and a GTO (which they also replicate) could
set you back almost $300,000.

Bob Schleicher
ihuxk!rs55611

jeanne@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/16/85)

In article <627@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
>I was surprised!  This is a very enjoyable program.

I'll say--it's my favorite (and that is only about
50% due to the fact Don Johnson has been one of my
favorites since "A Boy and His Dog".

I only have one
>problem with it.  What are these guys doing running around in a Ferrari?
>What I know of vice squads, which isn't much, they usually try to blend
>in with the people they are after.  Granted, dope dealers drive expensive
>cars.  But are we to believe that the Miami Police Department can lay
>down $50,000+ for a car for one of its sections?  I think a used "Pimp
>Mobile" would be a lot more believable.  Other than that, I highly suggest
>this program!

Hey--they've gotta have a car to match that spiffy
boat Crockett lives on!

butch@drutx.UUCP (FreemanS) (01/22/85)

In most cities once the police confiscate property of drug dealers
such as illeagal drugs, cars, or homes.  It is somewhat at their
disposal to do with as they see fit or until said property is
auctioned.