[net.tv] What about a [mini-]series based on...

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (01/22/85)

*** YOUR MESSAGE ***

..."Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle?  It seems to me
that this book has exactly what tv is looking for: a large cast of characters,
several sub-plots that eventually interweave, flashy special effects (all
of LA being destroyed; what could be more enjoyable to watch than that?),
and an open ending.

Now, I would hate to see this wonderful book maimed in the name of tv,
but there must be AT LEAST one other Gene Rodenberry floating around
out there somewhere.

For those who haven't read it, the book concernes a huge comet that
hits the earth and the resulting cataclysmic climatic changes that
destroy society.  It tells the story by following such characters as
a housewife, a senator, three astronauts who watch it all from space and
then must land themselves, etc.

					-- Mark A.
					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

	"We'll cross out that bridge when we come back to it later."

In article <358@ssc-vax.UUCP> adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) writes:
>For those who haven't read it, the book concernes a huge comet that
>hits the earth and the resulting cataclysmic climatic changes that
>destroy society.  It tells the story by following such characters as
>a housewife, a senator, three astronauts who watch it all from space and
>then must land themselves, etc.

	By the way, many of those characters are based on real
people who actually live in LA.  The authors base many of their
characters on members of the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society,
of which they are members. (of course they change the names).
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|burdvax|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/24/85)

> ..."Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle?

There have already been two or more TV movies about comet or asteroid strikes
(can't remember actual titles, though) and I sort of thought that one of them
actually referred in the credits to LUCIFER'S HAMMER, or to Pournelle,
though the results were probably a travesty of his intent (shades of
Ellison...).

I think this would sort of doom the chances of doing it again, with
better source material and keeping closer to the original.

(I will freely accept corrections if I am misremembering any of the
details above...)

Will

jeanne@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/25/85)

In article <358@ssc-vax.UUCP> adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) writes:
>*** YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>..."Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle?  It seems to me
>that this book has exactly what tv is looking for: a large cast of characters,
>several sub-plots that eventually interweave, flashy special effects (all
>of LA being destroyed; what could be more enjoyable to watch than that?),
>and an open ending.

What a fabulous idea!  "Lucifer's Hammer" was a
terrific book and, I agree, made properly would be a
terrific miniseries.  Since both Niven and Pournelle
live here in L.A., I wouldn't be surprised if some
sort of film deal had been discussed at some time or
other (everyone in L.A. seems to have a script in
development, on option, or in turnaround).  Next
time one (or both) of them does an autograph party
in the area, I'll try to remember to ask about
possible screen or tv deals and post any information
they might have.

faigin@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/26/85)

>>..."Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle?  It seems to me
>>that this book has exactly what tv is looking for.....

>What a fabulous idea!  "Lucifer's Hammer" was a
>terrific book and, I agree, made properly would be a
>terrific miniseries.

Actually, much might make a neet series would be DREAM PARK, also
by NIVEN, but with someone other than Pournelle. Actually, this
might even meet the need for the D&D movie that people have been
clamoring for.

--

"Bringing Computers into the home	"When a professor insists that

Daniel P. Faigin, University of California at Los Angeles
UUCP: {cepu|ihnp4|trwspp|ucbvax}!ucla-cs!faigin  ARPA: faigin@UCLA-CS.ARPA
USPS (Home): 11743 Darlington Avenue #9/Los Angeles CA 90049
AT&T (Home): (213) 826-3357