[net.tv] Great Shows of the Sixties

marno@ihuxm.UUCP (Marilyn Ashley) (01/29/85)

Here in Chicagoland, we have a t.v. station (Channel 9) that frequently
shows reruns of the old shows from the sixties, i.e., Gilligan's Island,
The Andy Griffith Show, and of course, the best show of the sixties,
The Dick Van Dyke Show.  Only Andy is currently being shown; the station
is giving Dick a rest for several years.

If I remember correctly, It's About Time was based on two astronauts
who are launched into flight and fall to earth in 2000 B.C.  During the
second year, the premise was changed to bring the cast (neanderthals
and all) into the present.

There is a book out called The Great T.V. Sitcom Book, and it lists
every television sitcom ever made, as well as giving a synopsis of the
series, including plots and cast names.  It ranges from My Mother, the Car
to Cheers and has extensive coverage of those shows that had a major
influence on television, such as M*A*S*H.  If anyone would like further
information on this book, please contact me.

Marilyn Ashley
ihnp4!ihuxm!marno

phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) (01/30/85)

And of the forties and fifties, too.  Who cares if they are in b&w?  Color
will never make a good show out of a bad one and a million dollars worth of
special effects is no substitute for a plot and some decent dialog.

Shows I would stay up late to see again:

1.  "Adventures in Paradise"
2.  "Foreign Intrigue"
3.  "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."
4.  "Peter Gunn"
5.  "Route 66"
6.  "Playhouse 90"
7.  "Twelve O'Clock High"
8.  "Mission Impossible"
9.  "Richard Diamond"
10. "I Spy"

Shows I would like to see sealed away in a time capsule for twenty years:

1.  "I Love Lucy"
2.  "Gilligan's Island"
3.  "Mac Hale's Navy"
4.  "Startrek"
5.  Anything with Mary Tyler Moore in it. (except #9, above)
6.  "The Honeymooners"
7.  "Leave it to Beaver"
8.  "Police Story"
9.  "Hawaii Five-O"
10. "Twilight Zone"

Any more?

- Phil

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (01/30/85)

Actually, "It's About Time" changed the premise within the first
season -- they never really made it to a full second season.
Not only did they change the premise, they also changed the
theme to match.  I have audio tapes of both versions.

--Lauren--

kenw@lcuxc.UUCP (K Wolman) (01/30/85)

Okay, I can handle people ignoring "A Family at War" (peasants!).
But if we're talking about Great TV Shows of the Sixties, I would
like to add one that ran for one or two seasons on CBS (Monday
nights, 10-11 pm):

		EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE

It concerned social workers in a private New York City welfare
agency (I used to work for the PUBLIC welfare service in NYC, and
NOBODY would believe a show about that!).  Its stars were George
C. Scott and Cicely Tyson.  If that isn't enough, the scripts and
guest stars were more often than not magnificent.  The best: a
show called "Who Do You Kill?"  It dealt with a couple in Harlem
(James Earl Jones and the late Diana Sands!!!) whose baby son is
bitten to death by a rat.  It was overwhelming in its impact.
Probably, the show was one of William Paley's attempts to pretend
he was "doing his bit" for Kulchur; his mid-Sixties ax-man, one
James Aubrey (whose legacy included Mr. Ed and some awful piece
of garbage starring Eddie Albert and one of the Gabor animals),
probably cancelled it because it occasionally forced thought.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. . . .
--
Ken Wolman
Bell Communications Research @ Livingston, NJ

". . . Toto, I think we're not in the Bronx anymore. . . ."

marno@ihuxm.UUCP (Marilyn Ashley) (01/30/85)

Please don't forget the Dick Van Dyke Show.  Where else can one find
Sally's Aunt Agnes' words of wisdom, or the great characters created
and played by Carl Reiner?

Who out there remembers the invasion of the walnuts??

M. Ashley
ihnp4!ihuxm!marno

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (01/31/85)

--
Channel 66 in Joliet, IL comes in quite strong in Chicago's
west burbs, and features reruns of Perry Mason at least 5

As close as I've watched the credits, I've never been able to
discover who wrote the music to Perry Mason.  Anybody know
who wrote that classic theme?
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (01/31/85)

Ha!  The Invasion of the Walnuts episode of Dick Van Dyke just ran
out here in L.A. a month or so ago.  Lots of the old shows, from
DVD to Alfred H., run in the L.A. independent market, not to mention
the national cable operations.  In fact, Batman recently returned
to this market.  It has really improved with age.  The pure
"campiness" of Batman is superb.  Watching it again reinforces my
theory that Lost in Space was actually in the same genre, and that
it (LiS) rates very highly when viewed in that light.

--Lauren--

techpub@mhuxt.UUCP (mcgrew) (01/31/85)

> Shows I would stay up late to see again:
>
> 1.  "Adventures in Paradise"
> 2.  "Foreign Intrigue"
> 3.  "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."
> 4.  "Peter Gunn"
> 5.  "Route 66"
> 6.  "Playhouse 90"
> 7.  "Twelve O'Clock High"
> 8.  "Mission Impossible"
> 9.  "Richard Diamond"
> 10. "I Spy"

I'll add to that list:

11. "Combat"
12. "The Invaders"
13. "Perry Mason"
14. "One Step Beyond"
15. "The F.B.I."
16. "Bilko"

> Shows I would like to see sealed away in a time capsule for twenty years:
>
> 1.  "I Love Lucy"
> 2.  "Gilligan's Island"
> 3.  "Mac Hale's Navy"
> 4.  "Startrek"
> 5.  Anything with Mary Tyler Moore in it. (except #9, above)
> 6.  "The Honeymooners"
> 7.  "Leave it to Beaver"
> 8.  "Police Story"
> 9.  "Hawaii Five-O"
> 10. "Twilight Zone"
>
> Any more?
>
> - Phil

This goes pretty far back, but anyone remember:

1. "The Ann Southern Show"

2. "My Little Margie"

or

3. "Topper"?

I can't remember too much about them but wouldn't mind seeing
a few episodes again.

Melanie Accomando
ihnp4!mhuxt!techpub

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/01/85)

WTBS runs Perry Mason at 12:05 every day.

Now for the $64,000 question...
	Why does TBS start their shows at 5 minutes past the hour?

-Ron

robdye@ut-sally.UUCP (Rob Dye) (02/01/85)

In article <1219@ihuxm.UUCP> marno@ihuxm.UUCP (Marilyn Ashley) writes:

>Please don't forget the Dick Van Dyke Show.  Where else can one find
>Sally's Aunt Agnes' words of wisdom, or the great characters created
>and played by Carl Reiner?
>
>Who out there remembers the invasion of the walnuts??

Wasn't that the one where Rob grows eyes in the back of his head? and it
all turns out to be a dream? I remember Laura's horror at Rob's hindsight
(:-)) and vaguely recall a closet full of walnuts.

Funny... I didn't watch the show religiously (and just about never watched
it in syndication), but those scenes happen to be the ones I always
remember when I think about the DVD Show. And I must have been pretty
young at the time. (I'm 26 now. How long ago was that?)

... ah, well... thanks for the memories...

					robdye

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (02/01/85)

My favorites were "Mr. Terrific" and "Captain Nice" (we had discussions
of these a couple of years ago on the net).

Oh yeah, don't forget "My Mother the Car", "My Living Doll", and good old
"Ozzie and Harriet".

Yes, I do remember (vaguely) "The invasion of the walnuts."

################
You may be right, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for,

                         -- Walt Tucker
                            Tektronix, Inc.

rsg@cbscc.UUCP (Bob Garmise) (02/01/85)

Maverick. How can anyone forget it? And what about Secret Agent? And
the Avengers? All from the 60s (and late 50s in the case of Maverick).
...bob garmise...at&t bell labs, columbus...

jims@hcrvax.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) (02/02/85)

Re: Dick Van Dyke

Yes...the invasion of the walnuts.....hold it...what happened to
my thumbs ??  And I am thristy.

What about the Monkees ????
Those guys were the greatest.

Jim Sullivan (..!hcrvax!jims)

"Nothing for a man to do but sit around and think"

matthew@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/02/85)

I heard on the radio a couple of days ago that a cache of "Honeymooners"
episodes were just discovered in a tape vault.  These episodes have only aired
once (the original show), and were thought to be lost forever.  They have now
been syndicated and will be showing on weekday afternoons or early evenings
on some station near you (almost certainly).

Matthew Merzbacher
matthew@ucla-locus

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (02/04/85)

Prime Time Shows 67-69
-----------------------

1967
----

ABC  Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea   The FBI   ABC Sunday Night Movie
     Cowboy in Africa   Rat Patrol   Felony Squad   Peyton Place   Big Valley
     Garrison's Gorillas   The Invaders   NYPD   Hollywood Palace
     Legend of Custer   Second 100 Years   ABC Wednesday Night Movie
     Batman   Flying Nun   Bewitched   That Girl   Peyton Place   Good Company
     Off to See the Wizard   Hondo   Guns of Will Sonnet   Judd for the Defense
     Dating Game   Newlywed Game   Lawrence Welk   Iron Horse   ABC Scope

CBS  Lassie   Gentle Ben   Ed Sullivan Show   Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour
                                                       Mission:Impossible
     Gunsmoke   Lucy Show   Andy Griffith Show   Family Affair
                                                       Carol Burnett Show
     Daktari   Red Skeleton Show   Good Morning, World   CBS News Hour
     Lost In Space   Beverly Hillbillies   Green Acres   He & She
                                                       Dundee and the Culhane
     Cimarron Strip   CBS Thursday Night Movie
     Wild Wild West   Gomer Pyle USMC   CBS Friday Night Movie
     Jackie Gleason Show   My Three Sons   Hogan's Heroes   Petticoat Junction
                                                                      Mannix

NBC  Walt Disney's WWoC   Mothers-in-Law   Bonanza   High Chaparral
     The Monkees   Man From UNCLE   Danny Thomas Hour   I Spy
     I Dream of Jeanne   Jerry Lewis Show   NBC Tuesday Night Movie
     The Virginian   Kraft Music Hall   Run For Your Life
     Daniel Boone   Ironside   Dragnet   Dean Martin Show
     Tarzan   Star Trek   Accidental Family   Actuality Specials/Bell Telephone
                                                                           Hour
     Maya   Get Smart   NBC Saturday Night Movie

1968
----

ABC  Land of the Giants   The FBI   ABC Sunday Night Movie
     The Avengers   Peyton Place   The Outcasts   Big Valley
     Mod Squad   It Takes a Thief   NYPD   That's Life
     Here Comes the Brides   Peyton Place   ABC Wednesday Night Movie
     Ugliest Girl in Town   Flying Nun   Bewitched   That Girl
                                                      Journey into the Unknown
     Operation: Entertainment   Felony Squad   Don Rickles Show
                                 Guns of Will Sonnet   Judd for the Defense
     Dating Game   Newlywed Game   Lawrence Welk   Hollywood Palace

CBS  Lassie   Gentle Ben   Ed Sulivan Show   Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour
                                             Mission: Impossible
     Gunsmoke   Here's Lucy    Mayberry RFD   Family Affair   Carol Burnett Show
     Lancer   Red Skeleton Hour   Doris Day Show   CBS News Hour/60 Minutes
     Daktari   Good Guys   Beverly Hillbillies   Green Acres
                                                       Jonathan Winters Show
     Blondie   Hawaii Five-O   CBS Thursday Night Movie
     Wild Wild West   Gomer Pyle USMC   CBS Friday Night Movie
     Jackie Gleason Show   My Three Sons   Hogan's Heroes   Petticoat Junction
                                                                      Mannix

NBC  New Adventures of Huck Finn   Walt Disney's WWoC   Mothers-in-Law
                                        Bonanza   Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show
     I Dream of Jeannie   Rowan & Martins Laugh-In   NBC Monday Night Movie
     Jerry Lewis Show   Julia   NBC Tuesday Night Movie
     The Virginian   Kraft Music Hall   The Outsider
     Daniel Boone   Ironside   Dragnet   Dean Martin Show
     High Chapparel   Name of the Game   Star Trek
     Adam 12   Get Smart   Ghost & Mrs. Muir   NBC Saturday Night Movie

1969
----

ABC  Land of the Giants   The FBI   ABC Sunday Night Movie
     Music Scene   New People   Harold Robbins "The Survivors"
                                                    Love, American Style
     Mod Squad   Movie of the Week   Marcus Welby, MD
     Flying Nun   Courtship of Eddies Father   Room 222   ABC Wed Night Movie
     Ghost & Mrs. Muir   That Girl   Bewitched   This is Tom Jones
                                                          It Takes a Thief
     Let's Make a Deal   Brady Bunch   Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
                   Here Come the Brides  Jimmy Durante Presents Lennon Sisters
     Dating Game   Newlywed Game   Lawrence Welk Show   Hollywood Palace

CBS  Lassie   To Rome with Love   Ed Sullivan Show   Leslie Uggams Show
                                                            Mission:Impossible
     Gunsmoke   Here's Lucy   Mayberry RFD   Doris Day Show   Carol Burnett
                                                                        Show
     Lancer   Red Skeleton Hour   Governor & J.J.  CBS News Hour/60 Minutes
     Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour   Beverly Hillbillies   Medical Center
                                                         Hawaii Five-O
     Family Affair   Jim Nabors Hour   CBS Thursday Night Movie
     Get Smart   Good Guys   Hogan's Heroes   CBS Friday Night Movie
     Jackie Gleason Show    My Three Sons   Green Acres   Petticoat Junction
                                                                    Mannix

NBC  Wild Kingdom   Walt Disneys WWoC   Bill Cosby Show   Bonanza
                         Bold Ones: The New Doctors/The Lawyers/The Protectors
     My World & Welcome To It   Rowan & Martin Laugh-In   NBC Monday Night Movie
     I Dream of Jeannie   Debbie Reynolds Show   Julia   NBC Tuesday Night Movie
     The Virginian   Kraft Music Hall   Then Came Bronson
     Daniel Boone   Ironside   Dragnet   Dean Martin Show
     High Charparrel   Name of the Game   Bracken's World
     Andy Williams Show   Adam 12   NBC Saturday Night Movie

                         -- Walt Tucker
                            Tektronix, Inc.

act@pur-phy.UUCP (Tselis) (02/05/85)

In article <552@mhuxt.UUCP> techpub@mhuxt.UUCP (mcgrew) writes:

>> Shows I would like to see sealed away in a time capsule for twenty years:
>>
>> 1.  "I Love Lucy"
>> 2.  "Gilligan's Island"
>> 3.  "Mac Hale's Navy"
>> 4.  "Startrek"
>> 5.  Anything with Mary Tyler Moore in it. (except #9, above)
>> 6.  "The Honeymooners"
>> 7.  "Leave it to Beaver"
>> 8.  "Police Story"
>> 9.  "Hawaii Five-O"
>> 10. "Twilight Zone"
>>
>> Any more?
Speaking of stuff sealed away in time capsules, does anyone remember

"HERE COME THE 70s!"?

It would be hilarious to see this series again.  There was a lot of
futuristic technobabble like the stuff in Future Shock.  But I remember
having a lot of fun watching it.  I wonder how I'd react to it now?
Can anyone remember any specific predictions they made?  Apart from
the cure of all known diseases, a flying car in every garage, a personal
computer in every home (maybe that one wasn't so far-fetched, except that
it should have been put in Here Come the 80s), and a chicken in every pot?

I'd enjoy watching other programs like:

Marcus Welby, M.D.
The Bold Ones
The Storefront Lawyers
Medical Center

and other "relevant" stuff.  (I remember them as being better than the
kind of trash they put out now, but maybe that's nostalgia.)

jpg@sdchema.UUCP (Jerry Greenberg) (02/08/85)

    And what about The Munsters?. Its not shown in syndication in San Diego,
Los Angeles, or on the superstations (WTBS,WGN) (I dont get WOR).

wmk@ptsfa.UUCP (Bill Klein) (02/08/85)

While we are talking about specific episodes of shows, who else
remembers the episode of "Father Knows Best" when Betty had her
nightmare. I think that she had to write a paper for school for the
next day. She "dreamed" that a mysterious man sold her family a
set of encyclopedias. Each member identified something they
wanted and gradually as they obtained what they wanted, the stranger
"captured" their souls. I am more than willing to accept corrections
to the plot, but at age 7 (give or take a few years) it sure scared
me more than walnuts in the closet.

Bill Klein                  (....!ucbvax!dual!ptsfa!wmk)
 Pacific Bell

oz@rlgvax.UUCP (THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ) (02/09/85)

> As close as I've watched the credits, I've never been able to
> discover who wrote the music to Perry Mason.  Anybody know
> who wrote that classic theme?

According to a marvelous book that I received over the holiday season called
"The TV Theme Song Sing~along Song Book" (By John Javna St martin's press
$5.95) The Perry Mason Theme was by Fred Steiner.  They also include the actual
music for the song.  Some other facts about Perry Mason from the book:

	The show's producers wanted Raymond Burr to play Ham Burger!
	Erle Stanly Gardener chose Raymond Burr as his choice for Perry!
	in 1973 CBS tried to revive Perry Mason with Monte Markham as Perry.

For any children of 50's and 60's television, I strongly recommend the book.
It contains the lyrics to "George of the Jungle,"  "Super Chicken," "F Troop"
and "77 Sunset Strip" to name a few.  It also has lyrics to shows that I didn't
even know HAD lyrics, such as: "Bonanza," "Bewitched," "I Love Lucy," and
"Star Trek"  (The lyrics to Star Trek were by Gene Roddenbury and the man
should have stuck to show creating!).  It also contains "trivia" about the
shows and lyrics to certain "classic" commercials as well.  It is a lot of fun.

			"Once upon a time there was an engineer.
			Choo chooo Charlie was his name we hear.
			He had an engine and he sure had fun,
			He used Good'N'Plenty Candy to make his train run.
			Charlie says, "Love my Good'N'Plenty."
			Charlie says, "it really rings the bell" (ding, ding)
			Charlie says, "Love my Good'N'Plenty,
			Don't know any other candy that I love so well."

					OZ
				seismo!rlgvax!oz