[net.tv] Trying to identify an old "space" cartoon

wales@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/23/85)

I would like some help in recalling the identity of an old "space"
cartoon series I watched on Saturday morning TV when I was young --
probably sometime during the early 60's.

Here is what I remember (not very much, unfortunately):

(1) I believe it was one of the first cartoon series which made heavy
    use of the cheapo "only the lips move" animation technique on the
    close-ups.

(2) There was a small group of "heroes" who were continually fighting
    one or more groups of enemy aliens.  I think one of the good guys
    had a bushy full beard.  There were lots of space ships, high-tech
    weapons, etc., etc.

(3) The only episode I have any extended recollection of involved a
    quasi-gladiatorial combat between one of the heroes and one of the
    enemy.  The last "event" in the combat had the two of them in vehi-
    cles with elevated cockpits (kind of like futuristic construction
    cranes :-}), each armed with a disintegrating-ray gun and a mirror
    shield for protection.  The "fight to the death" took place in a
    large arena.

    The hero, through lack of experience with this particular weapon,
    got his ray gun vaporized by his enemy, and all appeared lost -- but
    he was able to manipulate his mirror into place so that when the bad
    guy tried to zap him, the ray bounced off the hero's mirror and the
    bad guy ended up disintegrating himself with his own weapon.

(4) I remember a scene from another episode (or maybe it was the same
    episode) where the bad guys were showing off their latest execution
    device.  There was a chair in a hemispherical plexiglas booth, and
    at the push of a button (or pull of a lever -- I don't remember),
    some kind of ray came out of the ceiling and the chair just sort-of
    faded away.  Presumably, anyone sitting in the chair at the time
    would have faded away in like manner.

Anything anyone might remember about this astounding contribution to
sci-fi :-} would be most welcome.

                                                             Rich Wales
                           University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
                                            Computer Science Department
                                                      3531 Boelter Hall
                                   Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA
Phone:    (213) 825-5683 // +1 213 825 5683
ARPANET:  wales@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
UUCP:     ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!wales

fischer@topaz.ARPA (Ron Fischer) (02/28/85)

I believe it was called "Space Angel" and aired in the New York City area on
the "Sandy Becker Show" on channel 5 (WNEW, Metromedia).  WHew, can't place
a year on that one accurately.  As a child viewing this I wasn't concerned
with who produced it.

(ron)

broehl@wateng.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (02/28/85)

The show you're thinking is "Space Angel" and featured the character Scott
McCloud.  It was an interesting idea for cheap animation, called "synchro-vox"
or somesuch.
The writing was surprisingly good for a kid's show, lots of stuff that wasn't
too far-fetched (lot's of stuff that's *happened* by now!).

--
        -Bernie Roehl    (University of Waterloo)
	...decvax!watmath!wateng!broehl

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (03/05/85)

> I would like some help in recalling the identity of an old "space"
> cartoon series I watched on Saturday morning TV when I was young --
> probably sometime during the early 60's.
>
> Here is what I remember (not very much, unfortunately):
>
> (1) I believe it was one of the first cartoon series which made heavy
>     use of the cheapo "only the lips move" animation technique on the
>     close-ups.
>
> Anything anyone might remember about this astounding contribution to
> sci-fi :-} would be most welcome.
> --
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>                                                              Rich Wales
>                            University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
>                                             Computer Science Department
>                                                       3531 Boelter Hall
>                                   Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Phone:    (213) 825-5683 // +1 213 825 5683
> ARPANET:  wales@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
> UUCP:     ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!wales
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

	I can remember the cartoon you are talking about, but I cannot
remember the name.  In fact, the arena episode is one of the shows that
I can remember.  A sibling show that used the same animation technique
is 'Clutch Cargo'.  Clutch is a modern day adventurer flying a seaplane.
I believe he had a female companion and a boy side kick.  Maybe that
will be of some help.

	I'm surprised that Johnny Quest or Prince Planet haven't been
mentioned in this group yet.  From what I can remember, Prince Planet
was an Astro Boy clone.  Johnny Quest was just fun!

Joe Barone,		{allegra, decvax!brunix, ccieng5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,		 Submarine Signal Div., Portsmouth, RI

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (03/07/85)

> > I would like some help in recalling the identity of an old "space"
> > cartoon series I watched on Saturday morning TV when I was young --
> > probably sometime during the early 60's.
> >
> > Here is what I remember (not very much, unfortunately):
> >
> > (1) I believe it was one of the first cartoon series which made heavy
> >     use of the cheapo "only the lips move" animation technique on the
> >     close-ups.
> >
> > Anything anyone might remember about this astounding contribution to
> > sci-fi :-} would be most welcome.
> > --

How about Space Ghost?  I am not sure if this is one you are talking about
(more like mid to late 60's), but it could fit the characteristics.

The primary premise was Space Ghost and his companions (boy, girl, and monkey,
I believe) could make themselves invisible at the proper time.

                                        -- Walt Tucker
                                           Tektronix, Inc.

paveleck@ihldt.UUCP (Bob Paveleck) (03/07/85)

> > I would like some help in recalling the identity of an old "space"
> > cartoon series I watched on Saturday morning TV when I was young --
> > probably sometime during the early 60's.
> >
> > Here is what I remember (not very much, unfortunately):
> >
> > (1) I believe it was one of the first cartoon series which made heavy
> >     use of the cheapo "only the lips move" animation technique on the
> >     close-ups.
> >
> > Anything anyone might remember about this astounding contribution to
> > sci-fi :-} would be most welcome.
> > --
> >
> > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> >                                                              Rich Wales
> >                            University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
> >                                             Computer Science Department
> >                                                       3531 Boelter Hall
> >                                   Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA
> > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > Phone:    (213) 825-5683 // +1 213 825 5683
> > ARPANET:  wales@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
> > UUCP:     ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!wales
> > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> >

> 	I can remember the cartoon you are talking about, but I cannot
> remember the name.  In fact, the arena episode is one of the shows that
> I can remember.  A sibling show that used the same animation technique
> is 'Clutch Cargo'.  Clutch is a modern day adventurer flying a seaplane.
> I believe he had a female companion and a boy side kick.  Maybe that
> will be of some help.
>
> 	I'm surprised that Johnny Quest or Prince Planet haven't been
> mentioned in this group yet.  From what I can remember, Prince Planet
> was an Astro Boy clone.  Johnny Quest was just fun!
>

> Joe Barone,		{allegra, decvax!brunix, ccieng5}!rayssd!m1b
> Raytheon Co,		 Submarine Signal Div., Portsmouth, RI

I think the show you're thinking of was called "Space Angel".  It did
indeed have the "Clutch Cargo"-type animation, only in an outer-space
setting.  I believe that the characters in the cartoon were Captain
Scott McCloud, an old Scottish salt named Taurus and a young woman named
Crystal, although my memory is pretty fuzzy on this (it was on TV when
I was 6 or 7, which was back in the mid-'60's).

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (03/13/85)

> > I would like some help in recalling the identity of an old "space"
> > cartoon series I watched on Saturday morning TV when I was young --
> > probably sometime during the early 60's.
>
> 	I can remember the cartoon you are talking about, but I cannot
> remember the name.  In fact, the arena episode is one of the shows that
> I can remember.  A sibling show that used the same animation technique
> is 'Clutch Cargo'.

Space Angel.  He had a "Scotty" like sidekick as an engineering officer
and a female second officer.  Same animation technique (only the lips
move) as Clutch Cargo.  Fun but silly.
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"And Frith made the world"

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (03/16/85)

In article <661@rayssd.UUCP> m1b@rayssd.UUCP writes:

> I would like some help in recalling the identity of an old "space"
> cartoon series I watched on Saturday morning TV when I was young --
> probably sometime during the early 60's.

	The show was called Space Angel.

Hunter

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (03/20/85)

> I would like some help in recalling the identity of an old "space"
> cartoon series I watched on Saturday morning TV when I was young --
> probably sometime during the early 60's.
>
> Here is what I remember (not very much, unfortunately):
>
> (1) I believe it was one of the first cartoon series which made heavy
>     use of the cheapo "only the lips move" animation technique on the
>     close-ups.

You're probably talking about 'Space Angel'.  Three people in a old-style
space ship (bananna with three fins and two stubby wings) one sorta russian
looking (big with full beard) one woman, details obscure, and the title
hero who was a rocket pilot with a secret identity of 'Space Angel'.  (Brings
his visor down and chin piece up to assume secret identity or something.)
I don't remember anything about the plots except one vague recollection of
a kid who found out *the secret*.  ("Yes, I am Space Angel.")

VERY little animation, even on the long shots.  Three-frames-per-arm-wave
stuff.

Now!!!  Does anyone remember Rod Rocket???  Great stuff!  It was a serial
cartoon something like Tom Swift in outer space.  The part I remember most
is when Rod and his sidekick were trapped in Saturn's rings.  (Protrayed
as a dust storm.  Hey, not far off for a kid show.)
--
__
	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)