[net.tv] Longest Movies

renrut@iwu1b.UUCP (turner) (03/21/85)

One of the longest movies ever made was

	"Gone with the Wind" --- 222 minutes

If you know of a longer one, submit your guess to net.movies;
each guess should include:
title, running time ( original and released ), and your source.

						C. Turner -- The Collector

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (03/22/85)

War and Peace (Russian version), about seven hours.

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (03/22/85)

"Victory at Sea", made by the US Navy, ran somewhere around 24 hours.
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.  { ihnp4 || allegra || mcnc || cbosgb } !abnji!jca

I think he needs more than water, Peri, ay?

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (03/23/85)

Wasn't Reds something like 4 hours? I didn't see it, but I heard the moans from
some of my friends who did. Apparently movie seats weren't made to be sat in
that long (actually they weren't made to be sat in at all).

Sean

--
Sean Casey	UUCP:				  {hasmed, cbosgd}-\
			{ucbvax, unmvax, boulder, research}!anlams---ukma!sean

		ARPA:	"ukma!sean"@ANL-MCS  or  sean%ukma.uucp@anl-mcs.arpa

rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev) (03/24/85)

> "Victory at Sea", made by the US Navy, ran somewhere around 24 hours.
> --
> James C Armstrong, Jnr.  { ihnp4 || allegra || mcnc || cbosgb } !abnji!jca
>
> I think he needs more than water, Peri, ay?

Napoleon, by Abel Ganz (1923) - about 4 hrs.
Berlin Alexanderplatz (197?) - Fassbinder - about 15 hrs.
Heimat (1984, West Germany) - Edgar Reitz - about 16 hrs. To appear at the
New Directors/New Films series, Museum of Modern Art, NYC, in April.
--
...ihnp4!attunix!rajeev   -- usenet
ihnp4!attunix!rajeev@BERKELEY   -- arpanet

leeper@ahutb.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (03/25/85)

REFERENCES:  <151@iwu1b.UUCP>, <1476@ukma.UUCP>

Someone suggests that REDS was 4 hours long.  No, it was 200 minutes,
according to Maltin.  That makes it 22 minutes shorter than LAWRENCE OF
ARABIA.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahutb!leeper

mgh@hou5h.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (03/26/85)

What about Abel Gance' La Roue at 32 reels?   I came across that one
when looking up the running time of Napoleon -- the original was
17 reels but I've no idea how long Kevin Brownlow's reconstructed version
is.
--
			Marcus Hand	(hou5h!mgh)

hultquis@unc.UUCP (Jeffrey P. Hultquist) (03/27/85)

>Berlin Alexanderplatz (197?) - Fassbinder - about 15 hrs.

  I saw Berlin Alex. about a year ago.  My German is pretty sketchy,
but I gathered from the credits this this "epic film" was actually
a television miniseries which was glued together for distribution in
American movie houses.  Anybody know more about this?  Thanks.

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/27/85)

In article <387@sftri.UUCP> rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev) writes:
>> "Victory at Sea", made by the US Navy, ran somewhere around 24 hours.
>> James C Armstrong, Jnr.  { ihnp4 || allegra || mcnc || cbosgb } !abnji!jca
>Berlin Alexanderplatz (197?) - Fassbinder - about 15 hrs.

"Berlin Alexanderplatz" was made as a TV series.  I think "Victory at Sea"
was, too.  "Heimat" was made for theatrical release, though it was not intended
to be seen in one sitting.
--

        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) (03/28/85)

Didn't Andy Warhol make a 24-hour movie of the Empire State Building?
The camera was still; the action consisted of the lights going on
and off in their normal pattern.  He had some philosophy about
"boredom as a medium for artistic expression".  He also did a 8-hour
movie of a person sleeping.

Alan Filipski, UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A
{seismo|ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!al

is that half a roll of Tums in your pocket or are you glad to see me ?
			--Mae West