[net.tv] movies,trivia

vic@sunybcs.UUCP (Vic Bahl) (04/02/85)

Newsgroups: net.movies
Subject: Request title of Paul Newman movie.
Date: 25 Mar 85 22:50:50 GMT

The scene I saw before I fell asleep (got back dead tired
saturday night) was this:
A bedroom in a huge house.  An woman in her 40's in bed in the
morning.  Newman is walking around with his pants on and no shirt and
appears to be gigolo, because he flashes her checkbook at her and
says something like, "Remember? Our little agreement last
night?"  The woman says something like,"Ah yes; of course."

Does anybody know what this is?

Thanks.
---------------------------------
Christopher Kay  (2 months and counting) - SUNY at Buffalo
ARPA & CSNET: kramar%Buffalo@CSNET-RELAY
UUCP:  {[bbncca,dual,burdvax,rocksvax,rocksanne,watmath,decvax]!sunybcs!kramar}

				     "Nothing is forgotten or forgiven,
				      when it's your last time around,
				      I got stuff running 'round my head
				      That I just can't live down."

Chris I think I already told you the movie but in case anyone else is
interested it was 'Sweet Bird of Youth' released in 1962. It was a film
version of Tennesee Williams play of the same name. Newman as well as the
actress Geraldine Page were both in the original run of the play on Broadway
prior to recreating their roles in the movie.

Newman indeed was a gigolo trying to  parlay his sexual services into
a movie career. Page is an actress who, after attending her most recent movie
incognito and hearing the rest of the audience laugh at her attempts to
portray a women evidently a few years younger than she, takes off on a
cross country drunken spree after meeting Newman.
They end up in his home town in Florida from which he had been thrown out
off.

The movie 'softened' much of what was in the play:

      In the movie version Chance Wayne (Newman) has gotten his fiancee
      pregnant ( I believe) whereas in the play he gives her VD which results
      in her requiring a hysterectomy.

      In the play Chance is castrated at the conclusion but in the movie
      he is beaten up.

Undoubtedly much of this revision was done to conform to the moral climate
(censors) of the time.

                                                Vic Bahl

--
Vic Bahl @ SUNY Buffalo Computer Science (716-688-2879)