[net.tv] Gary Owens

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (04/09/85)

Saying that Gary Owens also "did a number of other announcing jobs"
is somewhat understating the facts.  Gary Owens is still one of the
busiest and most highly paid voiceover professionals in the world, and is
in incredible demand.  He also regularly does L.A. radio.  He is
truly a celebrity.  He is NOT the person who made the "that oughta hold
the little bastards" comment on radio -- that was done many, many
years ago during the "golden age" of radio.

--Lauren--

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (04/11/85)

In article <629@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
>			...			Gary Owens is still one of the
>busiest and most highly paid voiceover professionals in the world, and is
>in incredible demand.		...
>	...		He is NOT the person who made the "that oughta hold
>the little bastards" comment on radio -- that was done many, many
>years ago during the "golden age" of radio.

That was "Uncle WIP", on station WIP in Philadelphia, sponsored by Gimbles,
in the mid-40's.

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems
UUCP:   {ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amd!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, resonex, qubix, hplabs, leadsv, teklds}!cae780!gordon
USNAIL: 1333 Bordeaux Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94089
AT&T:   (408)745-1440

 Is it too late not to have kids?  Greg, Joel, Tod, Jenny, Sarah and
 Alan say so, but what do a bunch of kids know?

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (04/13/85)

One other interesting tid-bit about Gary Owens.  He recorded a comedy album
using sound effects, but mostly taking advantage of the fact that he has the
kind of voice that people trust.

The album is called "Put your Head on My Finger."  Obviously a play on the old
radio cliche of putting one's hand in/near one's ear to talk properly.

--Evan Marcus
...{decvax|ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who divide people into two
groups, and those who don't.