[net.tv] "That ought to hold the little ..."

bobd@zaphod.UUCP (Bob Dalgleish) (04/16/85)

> In article <629@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
> >	... Gary Owens ... He is NOT the person who made the "that oughta hold
> >the little bastards" comment on radio -- that was done many, many
> >years ago during the "golden age" of radio.
>
> That was "Uncle WIP", on station WIP in Philadelphia, sponsored by Gimbles,
> in the mid-40's.
>
> FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems

The comment in question has been attributed to almost every announcer in
TV or radio who had anything to do with a kiddies program.  Not to
question Mr. Gordon's references, but I have heard the same story about
local announcers here in Saskatchewan (no date, but the announcer and
the show were pinpointed).  I suspect that this is just another part of
the lore of TV/radio.  Any more candidates?
--
[The opinions expressed here are only loosely based on the facts]

Bob Dalgleish		...!alberta!sask!zaphod!bobd
			      ihnp4!
(My company has disclaimed any knowledge of me and whatever I might say)

erik@ssc-vax.UUCP (Erik Strom) (04/18/85)

> > In article <629@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
> > >	... Gary Owens ... He is NOT the person who made the "that oughta hold
> > >the little bastards" comment on radio -- that was done many, many
> > >years ago during the "golden age" of radio.
> >
> > That was "Uncle WIP", on station WIP in Philadelphia, sponsored by Gimbles,
> > in the mid-40's.
> >
> > FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems
>
> The comment in question has been attributed to almost every announcer in
> TV or radio who had anything to do with a kiddies program.  Not to
> question Mr. Gordon's references, but I have heard the same story about
> local announcers here in Saskatchewan (no date, but the announcer and
> the show were pinpointed).  I suspect that this is just another part of
> the lore of TV/radio.  Any more candidates?
> --
> [The opinions expressed here are only loosely based on the facts]
>
> Bob Dalgleish		...!alberta!sask!zaphod!bobd
> 			      ihnp4!
> (My company has disclaimed any knowledge of me and whatever I might say)

      I remember seeing TV commercials several years ago when the
  they were advertising Kermit Schafer's Radio Bloopers Album and
  one of the teasers they played was indeed the famous "that oughta
  hold the little bastards' quote. Another one I recall was the
  news item which had been confirmed by a 'high White Horse souse'.

  "He's handsome, he's intelligent, he's funny, he's cuddly, he's loving,
  but, he's also out, so leave your name and number at the tone..."

  From the lair of the Big E      Erik
				  !uw-beaver!ssc-vax!erik