[net.tv] Carson's Split Sense of Humor

jimc@haddock.UUCP (05/17/85)

I've never seen this stunt before -- I thought it was pretty inventive.

Last night (Thursday, 16 May), Johnny Carson appeared on two
programs in a row -- the first was, of course, *The Tonight Show*.
The second was *Late Night with David Letterman*, where
he appeared as a guest.  At any rate, Carson told only the
opening to a joke on *The Tonight Show* and then told only the
punch-line on *Late Night*.  The joke itself wasn't so bad, and
here is how it went:

On *The Tonight Show*:

	    A man came to a woman's door and said to her,
	"I have some terrible news for you.  Your husband
	just drowned in a beer vat."

	    The woman, stricken by grief, said, "Oh, the poor
	dear.  He didn't even have a chance."

On *Late Night*:

	    The man replied, "Well, I wouldn't be so sure, lady.
	He got out to go to the bathroom three times."

				Jim Campbell
				...!{bbncca, harvard}!ima!haddock!jimc

neal@fear.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (05/22/85)

In article <21900028@haddock.UUCP>, jimc@haddock.UUCP writes:

> I've never seen this stunt before -- I thought it was pretty inventive.
> [Johnny Carson] On *The Tonight Show*:
>
> 	    A man came to a woman's door and said to her,
> 	"I have some terrible news for you.  Your husband
> 	just drowned in a beer vat."
>
> 	    The woman, stricken by grief, said, "Oh, the poor
> 	dear.  He didn't even have a chance."
>
> [Johnny Carson, same evening] On *Late Night*:
>
> 	    The man replied, "Well, I wouldn't be so sure, lady.
> 	He got out to go to the bathroom three times."

	Actually, the joke is much funnier if the `man' and `woman'
	are Irish, and the joke is told with a brogue. I use
	`Father O'Halloran' and `Mrs. O'Flarhety'. Johnny wimped
	out on this one. (No racism flames, please. I never met
	an Irishman that took offense to this joke, in fact I think
	one told it to me.) So much for Johnny being inventive.

-Neal B.