[net.tv] Network News... Fade To Black

stadlin@hou2h.UUCP (Art Stadlin) (05/20/85)

Network television news is so predictable, and in this case phony.
How many times have you seen this happen when they report the death
of a well-known person:

- Anchor reports death, age, and cause of death.
- Anchor then introduces reporter.
- Reporter provides obituary "color."
- TV screen then FADES TO BLACK.
- Screen stays dark for about 1.5 seconds, longer for VIP death.
- Network rolls commercial for Post Grape Nuts.
- Anchor returns after break, smiling.

This "fade to black" gimmick just seems too contrived.  Do the network
news organizations really need to "act" like they really care?

And speaking of "phony-ness" and "acting," has anyone else noticed
Dan Rather's new hand gesturing?  For example, Dan will read a story
about the current unemployment figure and raise his hand in front of
his face to emphasize the size of the number. Is this new technique
working on you out there?  Does "a million" sound bigger if you can
see Dan Rather's hands?

--
  \\\
   \\\\                                  Art Stadlin

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (05/21/85)

Jeez.  What would you have the networks do?  Go DIRECTLY to the
Grape Nuts commercial?  At least they're trying to show a *little*
respect.  Let's give some credit where credit is due.

--Lauren--

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (05/21/85)

In article <928@hou2h.UUCP>, stadlin@hou2h.UUCP (Art Stadlin) writes:
> Network television news is so predictable, and in this case phony.
> How many times have you seen this happen when they report the death
> of a well-known person:
>
> - Anchor reports death, age, and cause of death.
> - Anchor then introduces reporter.
> - Reporter provides obituary "color."
> - TV screen then FADES TO BLACK.
> - Screen stays dark for about 1.5 seconds, longer for VIP death.
> - Network rolls commercial for Post Grape Nuts.
> - Anchor returns after break, smiling.
>
> This "fade to black" gimmick just seems too contrived.  Do the network
> news organizations really need to "act" like they really care?

	This kind of thing really irks me. Somebody famous dies. The tv
show does it's obituary bit. Then the cut back to the host/announcer/whatever
who says something like this..."Joe Important Somebody, <pause> dead <very
short pause> at 86 <long dramatic pause>...".
	Is this supposed to be some sort of tribute? Entertainment Tonight
plays the above scenario sappier (is that a word?) than anybody else.
	(no flames about 'well they deserve a tribute!', OK?)

> And speaking of "phony-ness" and "acting," has anyone else noticed
> Dan Rather's new hand gesturing?  For example, Dan will read a story
> about the current unemployment figure and raise his hand in front of
> his face to emphasize the size of the number. Is this new technique
> working on you out there?  Does "a million" sound bigger if you can
> see Dan Rather's hands?
>     \\\\\\________!{akgua,ihnp4,houxm}!hou2h!stadlin

	I've noticed the same gesture. It apparently adds emphasis to
his words. What I want to know is, did he come up with the gesture
naturally, or did some ratings expert decide that Dan should do this?

--
edward

		 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
			{mcvax!qtlon,vax135,mddc}!qusavx! -|-->	ukma!edward

		{decvax,ihnp4,mhuxt,seismo}! -+-> cbosgd! -|
		{clyde,osu-eddie,ulysses}! ---|

	"Well, what's on the television then?"
	"Looks like a penguin."

	()

        |--		Support barrier free design
       /|---
      |     \  _
       \___/ \=
sdcrdcf

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (05/25/85)

But isn't it ironic that reports of "128 people killed, two injured"
are NOT reported with solemn faces nor followed by fade-to-black?
Tells you something about how our culture treats death.
--
Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam