[net.tv] PBS logo

anton@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Anton) (05/22/85)

How many people have noticed that the PBS logo has been changed
fairly recently?  It had the 'P' modified to look like a face looking
left followed by 'BS'.  Now we have just the 'P' as a face looking right
and a dull 'PBS' below.  Is the administration trying to tell us something?
I believe I heard somewhere that when PBS's first logo came out there
was disagreement about the logo being a political statement.
--
C knows no bounds.
					Jeff Anton

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/23/85)

> How many people have noticed that the PBS logo has been changed
> fairly recently?  It had the 'P' modified to look like a face looking
> left followed by 'BS'.  Now we have just the 'P' as a face looking right
> and a dull 'PBS' below.  Is the administration trying to tell us something?
> I believe I heard somewhere that when PBS's first logo came out there
> was disagreement about the logo being a political statement.
> --

There was some show where someone was doing a semi-animated discussion
on how they came up with the PBS logos.  The early ones had lots of stars
and eagles which PBS didn't like.  Then they started on the faces.  The
original was looking left, PBS wanted it to look right so they turned it
around.  Then they scrapped that and did the man in the "p" logo.  The
designers refused to make that face right because they didn't want the
man's nose stuck in to the B.  I guess PBS finally won out.

-Ron

steve@micomvax.UUCP (Steve Grice) (05/27/85)

In article <7381@ucbvax.ARPA> anton@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Anton) writes:
>How many people have noticed that the PBS logo has been changed
>fairly recently?  It had the 'P' modified to look like a face looking
>left followed by 'BS'.  Now we have just the 'P' as a face looking right
>and a dull 'PBS' below.  Is the administration trying to tell us something?
>I believe I heard somewhere that when PBS's first logo came out there
>was disagreement about the logo being a political statement.
>--

Something to do with the P facing left or right.

--

Steve Grice
philabs!micomvax!steve