[net.tv] Cindi Lauper's video for GOONIES

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (05/27/85)

[I'd post this to net.pro.wrestling, but I don't know if it exists]

Just saw the video Cindi Lauper did for Donner/Spielburg's GOONIES, which is
much more a Lauper video than a "trailer with music" job for GOONIES.  A few
questions:

1)  Yes, even I realize most of the men on this show are wrestlers.  Can you
    identify which ones (this is not a quiz - I dunno).

2)  Is that Cindi's ma playing her ma?

3)  What's this PART II stuff at the end of the video?  Are they showing a
    second half later on in the month?

Looks like the movie season is in full media hyperthrust...

			"Stephen Spielburg, what do I do NOW?"
			"Well, first thing... I don't know."

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (05/29/85)

In article <655@vax2.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Just saw the video Cindi Lauper did for Donner/Spielburg's GOONIES, which is
>much more a Lauper video than a "trailer with music" job for GOONIES.  A few
>questions:
>
>1)  Yes, even I realize most of the men on this show are wrestlers.  Can you
>    identify which ones (this is not a quiz - I dunno).

The only one whose name I know is Captain Lou Albano; he is CL's mentor
and he played her father in "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."

>2)  Is that Cindi's ma playing her ma?

Yes.  She has been in all of Cindi's videos, I believe, usually playing
her mother (actually, I don't specifically recall her in "She-Bop", but
I think I heard Cindi say that this was her mother's fourth video).

>3)  What's this PART II stuff at the end of the video?  Are they showing a
>    second half later on in the month?

Yes, this is the first two-part music video.  I figure that part 2 will
come out in about a month or two.

Other trivia: the video was directed by Richard Donner, who also
directed the film.  I think that it was incredibly clever, and I can't
wait to see how she gets out of the jam.  It's probably alot better than
the actual movie.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

brown@nicmad.UUCP (05/30/85)

In article <4352@mit-eddie.UUCP> barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <655@vax2.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>>Just saw the video Cindi Lauper did for Donner/Spielburg's GOONIES, which is
>>much more a Lauper video than a "trailer with music" job for GOONIES.  A few
>>questions:
>>
>>1)  Yes, even I realize most of the men on this show are wrestlers.  Can you
>>    identify which ones (this is not a quiz - I dunno).
>
>The only one whose name I know is Captain Lou Albano; he is CL's mentor
>and he played her father in "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."

Hulk Hogan(?) is one of the other wrestlers?  I think I got that right.
Anyway, even if the name is wrong, it is interesting to note that the
wrestler I am thinking of (the first one out of the car wearing the kilt)
is always fighting with Cyndi and group.  Just goes to show how much of a
put-on wrestling really is.
--
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|    JVC HRD725U
Mr. Video     | |       | o|  |--------------|
              | |       |  |  | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|  |--------------|
              |------------|     VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   ({!seismo,!ihnp4}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown)

brown@nicmad.UUCP (05/31/85)

In article <192@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <4352@mit-eddie.UUCP> barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>>In article <655@vax2.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>>>Just saw the video Cindi Lauper did for Donner/Spielburg's GOONIES, which is
>>>much more a Lauper video than a "trailer with music" job for GOONIES.  A few
>>>questions:
>>>
>>>1)  Yes, even I realize most of the men on this show are wrestlers.  Can you
>>>    identify which ones (this is not a quiz - I dunno).
>>
>>The only one whose name I know is Captain Lou Albano; he is CL's mentor
>>and he played her father in "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."
>
>Hulk Hogan(?) is one of the other wrestlers?  I think I got that right.
>Anyway, even if the name is wrong, it is interesting to note that the
>wrestler I am thinking of (the first one out of the car wearing the kilt)
>is always fighting with Cyndi and group.  Just goes to show how much of a
>put-on wrestling really is.

I was in a book store today and saw a wrestling book, so I looked thru it to
find the name for the person I was thinking of.  Well, the guy in the kilt
is Roddy Piper.  Hulk Hogan is the blond wrestler.  Sorry about that!
--
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|    JVC HRD725U
Mr. Video     | |       | o|  |--------------|
              | |       |  |  | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|  |--------------|
              |------------|     VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   ({!seismo,!ihnp4}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown)

robg@mmintl.UUCP (Robert Goldman) (05/31/85)

	About the wrestlers:  I seem to recall that there were more than
two, but the two most important were the bad guy tag team of Andrei Volkoff
and the Iron Sheikh.  As I recall, these two used to be managed by Captain
Lou Albano, but he is now being transformed into a good guy, so someone else
manages them now.  The important thing to know about this team is that every
time they get into the ring, they carry flags of Iran and the Soviet Union,
and Volkoff takes the microphone to sing the Soviet national anthem. . .

	Don't even THINK of asking how I know all this!

					Robert Goldman
					MultiMate Int'l.

These opinions are entirely my own, and do not represent the opinions of
MultiMate International Corp., which probably couldn't tell a good-guy
wrestler from a bad one. . .

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (06/03/85)

The one with the kilts is Rowdy Roddy Piper.  Watch a new offering
next fall about wrestling.  It will replace SNL once a month on NBC.
You will laugh yourself silly.  It will be the greatest puton since
socks.  They had the first one (pilot) last month and it was
nutso.
T. C. Wheeler

ttorgers@udenva.UUCP (Troy Torgerson) (06/04/85)

In article <> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <4352@mit-eddie.UUCP> barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>>In article <655@vax2.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>>>Just saw the video Cindi Lauper did for Donner/Spielburg's GOONIES, which is
>>>much more a Lauper video than a "trailer with music" job for GOONIES.  A few
>>>questions:
>
>Hulk Hogan(?) is one of the other wrestlers?  I think I got that right.
>Anyway, even if the name is wrong, it is interesting to note that the
>wrestler I am thinking of (the first one out of the car wearing the kilt)
>is always fighting with Cyndi and group.  Just goes to show how much of a
>put-on wrestling really is.
>--

Yes, Hulk Hogan is in there and "Rowdy Roddy Piper" is the one
that always wears the kilt.  As for other "Bad guys" in wrestling that were
in there. . .  Let see. . .  Oh yes, there was the "Iron sheik" and I
believe his tag team partner.  ok, so I watch a little wrestling. . . :-)

I only saw it once, but I kind of wondered about all these people
who "hate" each other and yet they are making a video together. . .
Money talks, I guess. . .  Maybe they needed some "a*holes" in it to make
it seem realistic.  Maybe they even blew the cover on pro-wrestling. .

Hmmmm...  The world may never know. ..

			Troy

			udenva!ttorgers

smq@hlexa.UUCP (Steve Queriolo) (06/04/85)

The wrestlers in the video:

I have only seen the viseo once, and haven't seen wrestling
since the Mr T. stuff, but here are the wrestlers that
I remember:

Rowdy Roddy Piper (kilt); Captain Lou; Iron Sheik (Iranian);
Classy Freddy Blassie (sp? gas passer); Wendi Richter (selling
cookies); Fabulous Moula (sp? with $$ eyeglasses); The russian
tag team champ (don't know his name);

Her mother was in the video along with her manager (David Wolf?).  Her
buddy, Hulk Hogan wasn't in the video though.

miller@h-sc1.UUCP (martin miller) (06/05/85)

> 	ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS POSTED IN CINDI LAUPER'S VIDEO FOR GOONIES
> 	1) THE WRESTLERS I CAN IDENTIFY ARE:
>
>                   a.Rowdy Roddy Piper
> 	          b.The Iron Sheik
> 		  c.Capt. Lou Albano
> 		  d.the Russian milking the cow I don't know
> 		  e.the old man I don't know either

The answers to (d) and (e) are Nicolai Volkoff and "Classy" Fred Blassie,
respectively.

The video itself is actually quite uninspiring, from where I stand...I don't
even like the song.  (I saw it first on the "Wrestle and Rock" NBC
special, "Saturday's Main Event".) The only funny part was
watching the wrestlers do what they do all the time anyway...act.
I mean, have you ever WATCHED professional wrestling?  These guys get
their necks broken (:-)) one week and recover
by the next...(unless someone accidentally really breaks something, in
which case they show him recuperating in the hospital the next week)!
And they switch sides from "bad" to "good" more often than Italy changes
governments.  Ah, well, it's still mindless stuff to watch on Saturday
morning...unless Bugs Bunny is on, of course.

Well, maybe Spielberg couldn't save Cyndi, but I'll bet that
Superfly Jimmy Snuka can...or maybe Andre the Giant, or ...

BTW, I saw a rerun of what must've been the "Carson just wants to
have fun" episode Tonight show the other day... is Cyndi L. really
THAT much a space cadet?  I doubt it, but she was certainly putting
on an appearance.  Too bad she didn't sing on key, but I still prefer
off-key singing to bad mouthing (cf. almost any video).

Sorry for being long and straying off the subject, but that's showbiz
Reply if you like, but I probably won't be here.  Graduation's
tomorrow,  (hahahahahahaha....)

				Martin Miller
--

Martin Miller
Harvard University Science Center

...seismo!harvard!h-sc1!miller
(or however you get to harvard)  (Answer:  study)

jimi@SCINEWS.UUCP (Jim Ingram/Todd Jones) (06/10/85)

> In article <655@vax2.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> >Just saw the video Cindi Lauper did for Donner/Spielburg's GOONIES, which is
> >much more a Lauper video than a "trailer with music" job for GOONIES.  A few
> >questions:
> >
> >1)  Yes, even I realize most of the men on this show are wrestlers.  Can you
> >    identify which ones (this is not a quiz - I dunno).
>
> The only one whose name I know is Captain Lou Albano; he is CL's mentor
> and he played her father in "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."
/*
the "bad guys" are the Iron Sheik (repossesing the station), Nikolai
Volkov (milking plastic cow), Roddy Piper (stomping on smily-face),
the Fabulous Moolah, taking over the cookie stand.

the "good guys" wrestlers are CLAlbano and Wendy Richter, who is managed
by Cindy Lauper. Cindy's manager, David Wolf, is the wimpy attendant in
the vid.
*/