[net.tv] 10 Billionth Pernell Roberts reply

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (06/14/85)

>In article <690@houxa.UUCP> lmv@houxa.UUCP (L.VANDERBILT) writes:
>Does anyone out there know who Pernell Roberts( later went on
>to Trapper John fame).. played on the Bonanza show?  We think
>it was the oldest brother but what was the character's name??

[53 replies later...]
In the famous old western series BONANZA, Pernell Roberts played the
faithful illiterate Hop Sing, who was responsible for obtaining opium for
the rest of the hearty Cartwright family.  Lorne Greene played the family
matriarch and bible-thumper, Michael Landon his half-breed & simple youngest
son, and Dan Blocker portrayed a somewhat-addled trapper who really wanted
to be a romantic poet.  Wayne Rogers often guest-starred as Trapper John
(who was not really a trapper at all... but that's another story), Jane
Fonda appeared as a Virginia City saloon keeper and aerobics instructor, and
Jerry Mathers as the Little Beaver, a stream that ran along the Ponderosa.

For those of you who have only seen several shows, the standard episode
began with Sheriff Roy Coffey alerting the CartWrights with the BatSignal
that another colorful western villain was on the rampage (e.g. The Drifter),
and that it was time for Ben to Thank God for being rich and to ask Him to
smite anyone who even tried to take a piece of the Ponderosa.  You can guess
where it went from there.

The series ended with the little-seen climatic final episode, where Little
Joe is killed and turned into an angel, Ben loses the Ponderosa and decides
to join a rag-tag fleet of outer space minatures ("It's only a model!"
"Shh!"), and Hoss poses for a firm which designs tugboats.

Happy to help...

        "Hide the wenches and batten down the access codes... yer about to
         be boarded, ye scurvy network news dogs!  Har Har..."

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA