[net.tv] James Bond/Pierce Brosnan/Remington Steele

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (06/21/85)

[The cross-posting to net.tv shall become clear.]

> From:	drutx!dirtbag	(Sally House)

> I am amazed that 10 people have voted for Pierce Brosnin.  This man
> is too wimpy looking to play 007.  Not only does he have too slender a
> body and too baby a face,

He's not *my* style (wrong sex :-)), but apparently many women (my s.o.
among them) find him terribly sexy, which is the obviously the major
qualification for a movie Bond.

>                           I can't imagine him getting himself out of
> any situation that required brawn or brains.  In Remington Steele,
> Laura ends up getting them out of most of their tight situations with
> bad guys.

True, but the reason for that is that the whole conceit of REMINGTON
STEELE is that Laura is the *real* detective, and Steele is just a front,
albeit a front who tends to get involved in the situation. A friend whose
knowledge of such matters I trust claims that the show is really a "rip
off" (if I may use so bold a term) of a story series from the 30's pulp
magazines. In the stories, we have a detective agency in which the
"secretary" is really the P.I., but she set up the cover of a male P.I.
so that she would get clients who might otherwise shy away from hiring
a woman. Whenever a client comes in, she'll claim that the P.I. is out
but that she can take down all of the relevant information for him. Then
she goes out and solves the case. The principal difference in REMINGTON
STEELE is that in the show, a "Remington Steele" actually shows up to
complicate matters, whereas in the story series, the P.I. cover is totally
made up.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM