[net.tv] SPACE 1999. - You can

thornton@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC468) (06/13/85)

		The line 'puppets without strings' was a very nasty jibe
	invented by a critic as it sounds clever. It has always been easier to
	criticize something than to praise it, thus you tend to here more from
	people who don't like it than from those who do (e.g. me). The best form
	of criticism is constructive (though its a bit late now for UFO & 1999).
	The problems with the characters were not that they were 'acting' like
	puppets, more that their lines were bad (blame the script writer).
		They may appear to be cold and inhuman but this is more
	of an accurate representation of real life than it seems. In
	real life there is normally not a funny side to everything.

						Andy T.

	Obscure esoterica bit: I love writing disjoint letters!
	(..RIGHT NOW I DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A SENSE OF HUMOUR..) Cmdr J.R.Koenig.
							from THE TAYBOR

daar@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC426) (06/22/85)

In article <282@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) writes:
>The Enterprise had starbases with fresh supplies of Redshirts to serve
>as monster chow.  Space 1999 had NO new people coming in, excepting Maya,
>and no supplies.

	Most of the Eagles that crashed on the moon could be salvaged. It was
the ones that exploded that reduced the numbers. New supplies were constantly
being mined from under the base and (presumably) manufacturing new ships.
	Not that many people got killed off; an average of one per four episodes
at most so the population hovered around the 290's mark.
	The point made by constantly destroying their hardware and not the
people indicates that a message of lifes indisposeability was trying to be
conveyed. Concerning bug eyed monsters from other articles: Star Trek had its
share (remember the second pilot where the eyes turned silver) and the episodes
with Baloc and the Gorn? I'm sure that if the Horta had eyes they would glow.

						D.
xxxxxx