[net.tv] Space 1999, UFO, et al

david@dcl-cs.UUCP (David Coffield) (06/13/85)

*PLEASE* can those who are guilty stop slagging Space 1999, UFO et al.
There was nothing wrong with them when you were young.
(weren't you guys *ever* kids?)
Who gives a toss about the force required to blast the moon out of the
Earths orbit? Most sci-fi is far fetched - it's meant to be.
Constructive criticism and personal opinions yes, but cut out the slagging.

"Spectrum Is Green"

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (06/15/85)

> *PLEASE* can those who are guilty stop slagging Space 1999, UFO et al.
> There was nothing wrong with them when you were young.
> (weren't you guys *ever* kids?)

I was twelve when 1999 first premiered.  I thought it was bug eyed
monsters then. The premiere had radiation turning people's eyes into
fried eggs.  (Remember that?)  The show was bug eyed monsters and
more bug eyed monsters.

> Who gives a toss about the force required to blast the moon out of the
> Earths orbit? Most sci-fi is far fetched - it's meant to be.

But why does it have to be?  Couldn't the writers have spent a little
more time with the typewriter and taken it out of the realm of bug
eyed monsters?  The show had potential.  The show's budget was adequate.
Catherine Schell, Barry Morse, and the Landaus were all adequate.
The scripts that made the actors say the dumbest lines were the problem.
Those same script writers shot the moon out of orbit.  I say shoot
the writers!

> Constructive criticism and personal opinions yes, but cut out the slagging.

What's the difference?  This is the net, land of flames :-)

rwl@uvacs.UUCP (Ray Lubinsky) (06/16/85)

> *PLEASE* can those who are guilty stop slagging Space 1999, UFO et al.
> There was nothing wrong with them when you were young.
> (weren't you guys *ever* kids?)
> Who gives a toss about the force required to blast the moon out of the
> Earths orbit? Most sci-fi is far fetched - it's meant to be.
> Constructive criticism and personal opinions yes, but cut out the slagging.

Now seriously, if the premise for a story -- any story -- is  implausible  then
it's  a  bad  premise.   The  usual consequence of this is a bad story as well.
"Space: 1999" wasn't intended for children any more than was, say "Star  Trek",
but  it  tended  to stretch the willing suspension of disbelief a hell of a lot
further.  This wasn't due to exotic imagination, just a lack  of  understanding
of some fundamentals of SF craftsmanship.

You see, I don't read "sci-fi" books or watch "sci-fi" pictures.   My  interest
is SF.  I'm not necessarily talking about literature with a heavy message, just
well-constructed fiction.  I like quality merchandise, and "Space: 1999"  never
gave me that.
--

Ray Lubinsky		     University of Virginia, Dept. of Computer Science
			     uucp: decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!rwl

thornton@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC468) (06/19/85)

		Strange as it seems, there were very few bug eyed monsters
	in the first season. The only non humanoid alien was the 'spider'
	from DRAGONS DOMAIN. It was the dreaded second season which had the
	bug eyed monsters. One monster (from BETA CLOUD, SPACE WARP & MATTER
	OF BALANCE) was used a lot with different hair lengths so as you
	wouldn't notice. If you had opted to see the few episodes where bug
	eyed monsters were used you would get this impression. This seems to
	have more to do with the arrival of Freddie Frieberger than the
	character of the show.
		One good bug eyed monster can be forgiven. Maya provided
	the potential to produce hundreds.
		Maya's shape changeing ability is not original. Captain
	Garth, from STAR TREK's WHOM GODS DESTROY had a similar ability
	limited to humanoid forms. He could change into an alien (SPOCK)
	and must have physically changed to assume the voice. Here the
	ability was called 'CELLULAR REMETAMORPHOSIS'. If one show can
	get away with that, why did Maya come in for so much stick?
		Does anyone out there look out for little continuity errors?
	I spotted several in 1999. Koenig's space suit collar in BREAKAWAY
	changes from smooth to ringed before he crashes over beacon Delta
	for instance, and Carter's visor falls open in SPACE WARP!

					Andy T.

	(HOW DOES HE MANAGE TO CHANGE FORM AT WILL???!!) J.Teflon.Kirk.
		(Teflon gets rid of any Klingons)       from WHOM GODS DESTROY

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (06/20/85)

In article <278@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) writes:

>I was twelve when 1999 first premiered.  I thought it was bug eyed
>monsters then. The premiere had radiation turning people's eyes into
>fried eggs.  (Remember that?)  The show was bug eyed monsters and
>more bug eyed monsters.

ummm, I think that was an Outer Limits episode....  Not that I think
1999 wouldn't have done it if they'd have thought of it.
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/21/85)

>From: thornton@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC468)
>
>		Maya's shape changeing ability is not original. Captain
>	Garth, from STAR TREK's WHOM GODS DESTROY had a similar ability
>	limited to humanoid forms. He could change into an alien (SPOCK)
>	and must have physically changed to assume the voice. Here the
>	ability was called 'CELLULAR REMETAMORPHOSIS'. If one show can
>	get away with that, why did Maya come in for so much stick?

Captain Garth was only shown changing into human or human-like sentient
forms. This is the distinction between him and Maya.

Maya was shown changing into everything from very non-human aliens to an
orange tree. She could also change into beings of equally varying sizes.

As others have pointed out in this group, where does the excess energy go
when she turns into a fly? By avoiding such drastic form changes, Garth is
a much more plausible character.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

		New COKE- the refreshment that pauses.

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (06/21/85)

> In article <278@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) writes:
> >
> >I was twelve when 1999 first premiered.  I thought it was bug eyed
> >monsters then. The premiere had radiation turning people's eyes into
> >fried eggs.  (Remember that?)  The show was bug eyed monsters and
> >more bug eyed monsters.
>
> ummm, I think that was an Outer Limits episode....  Not that I think
> 1999 wouldn't have done it if they'd have thought of it.
> --
>
> 			Charlie Martin
> 			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

No, it was 1999.  I remember the Outer Limits episode W/ Frank Gorshin and
the fried egg eyes caused by some sort of strange stellar radiation on
an off world colony. In 1999, radiation from all the radioactive waste
stored on the moon began to do something cosmic.  It turned people's eyes
into poached eggs and then blasted the moon out of Earth's orbit, straight
into some sort of time warp which happened to be sitting nearby.

Personally, I think the basic premise for 1999 came from an episode of
Outer Limits involving a lunar base.  (I think Martin Landau was even the
base commander, and as I remember the episode it was better than most
episodes of 1999.)  I am sure 1999 wasn't beyond stealing some fried eggs.

			Lord Kahless

fred@varian.UUCP (Fred Klink) (07/03/85)

>"Space: 1999" wasn't intended for children any more than was, say "Star  Trek",
>but  it  tended  to stretch the willing suspension of disbelief a hell of a lot
>further.  This wasn't due to exotic imagination, just a lack  of  understanding
>of some fundamentals of SF craftsmanship.

I enjoy Star Trek far more than Space 1999 as well, but to say Star Trek didn't
stretch willing suspension of disbelief to the breaking point on numerous
occasions is, to coin phrase, stretching it!

I think the original authors posting was meant to say that judging sci-fi
strictly on the basis of scientific accuracy is not a fair means of critique,
unless all works of fiction are judged on the same basis.  People in detective
movies take blow after blow that would knock out a horse-- now thats
not very scientifically plausible but we take it willingly as a part of the
formula action show.  How about horror movies?  There's yet to be a case
of dead folks walking around causing trouble that made it to the scientific
journals, yet we flock to the theatre to willingly subject ourselves to such
improbabilities.  Part of what is refered to as "SF craftsmanship" has always
involved creating that which is scientifically impossible, usually by just
bringing in a "technology that is completely unknown to us" as Spock seemed
to be saying every other week.  Also, since I'm a scientist, I have learned
to avoid saying that anything is "impossible".