[net.tv] RGB to NTSC compsite, HELP

panglos@homxa.UUCP (N.TABATABAIE) (07/24/85)

Does anyone know of a commercially available adaptor that converts the RGB video
signal to NTSC composite standard? I whish to record the video information from
my PC display direrctly on a video tape but the VCRs and even Lser Disc Recorderthat I have been able to find only accept composite color video signals. Any in-formation is greatly appreciated.
                                               Ned Tabatabaie
                                               Bell Communications Research
                                               Holmdel, New Jersey
                                               ihnp4!homxa!panglos
                                               (201) 949-3674

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/27/85)

In article <1047@homxa.UUCP> panglos@homxa.UUCP (N.TABATABAIE) writes:
>Does anyone know of a commercially available adaptor that
>converts the RGB video
>signal to NTSC composite standard?

This isn't terribly helpful, but a video-hacker friend of mine reported
that this is very complecated but he had heard of a chip that would do
it with a lot of external support.
--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

Lord Fred:"Because I said I am."

Wang Zeep:"Seriously."

Lord Fred:"Look, it works for every other religion."

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (07/29/85)

      Use the MC 1377 matrix chip!  You feed it sync, R, G, B (of course,
all properly DC restored so that the black level is 0.0 volts and peak
white is 1.0 volts on the RGB inputs).  All it requires is

      a crystal ( 63/88 * 5.000 mHz for NTSC, ~~4.43 mHz for PAL-B)
      five capacitors and two resistors
      an 8.2 v CLEAN precision reference for pin 16
      12 volts DC

      The inputs are R, G, B, and sync. No provision is made, however, for
proper black level setup intervals, and no gamma precompensation is provided.
This is NOT NTSC by a long shot (i.e. you can't hook it to a television
transmitter) but it will probably work on most monitors quite well.

      If you want it to work a LOT better, lock a 14.3182818 mHz source to
the horizontal scanning frequency.  (The horizontal scanning frequency can
be obtained by differentiating the composite sync, triggering a one shot,
and some combinational logic).  With this pseudo SC-H (video-ese for
subcarrier-horizontal) genlock, you won't get a lot of artifacts and junk
in the image due to imperfect subcarrier phasing. (Owners of heterodyne
type VTRS will recognize this as lines which are diagonal and parallel to
each other, and the angle between those lines and the scanning lines
changes constantly with time base errors . . .)

      Back to the subject: One more thing: this chip does not provide the
correct matrix precompensation and delay for 'true' NTSC, so you will
be limited to a 0.5 mHz video bandwidth for saturated colours. If you are
trying to (broadcast)(record)(display) something like a Vectrix RGB output,
you can forget it, since these units will have R, G, B video components
well up to 4.2 mHz.  YOU ALSO MAY GET STRANGE BEATS AND FLAKIES because
of the lack of precompensation and delay equalisation. . . (similar to
the effect when a finely structured cloth is telecast such as herringbone
tweed, etc.)

      You may also have some gross interline flickering, too; in which
case you can always mutilate the equalising pulses in the vertical sync,
etc (ala Atari video games, etc.)

Hope this helps,

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc

'Keeping NTSC the best colour television standard in the world....'

> Does anyone know of a commercially available adaptor that converts the RGB video
> signal to NTSC composite standard? ...

	What you want is commonly called a ``NTSC color encoder''.  We have one
manufactured by Lenco Inc., Electronics Division, Jackson, Missouri, telephone
314/243-3147.  It is P/N CCE-850.
	You probably won't like the price, though, since this is an industrial
quality unit (you should see the price on the *broadcast* quality units!).
	You might want to give Lenco a call and see if they have something
less expensive.  I don't know offhand who would manufacture an inexpensive
color encoder; the other outfits we have dealt with - Conrac and Grass Valley -
make Lenco look cheap by comparison.
	I don't travel much in 'PC circles', so I don't know if something
inexpensive is on the market which is aimed at PC users.

	Larry Lippman
	Recognition Research Corp.
	Clarence, New York
	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
		{rice,shell}!baylor!kitty!larry
		syr!buf!kitty!larry
	VOICE	716/741-9185
	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 answerback: ELGECOMCLR

	"Have you hugged your cat today?"

alan@cae780.UUCP (Alan M. Steinberg) (07/31/85)

>> Does anyone know of a commercially available adaptor that converts the RGB video
>> signal to NTSC composite standard? ...
>
>	What you want is commonly called a ``NTSC color encoder''.  We have one
>manufactured by Lenco Inc., Electronics Division, Jackson, Missouri, telephone
>314/243-3147.  It is P/N CCE-850.

etc. etc. etc.

Shouldn't this all be in net.video?  I was under the assumption (a terrible
word on the net) that net.tv was for all of us non-technical types that can
only turn channels.
--

                             Alan Steinberg
                             {ucbvax}!decwrl!amdcad!cae780!alan

Helllllp, Mr. Wizarrrrrrd!!!  I don't want to be a programmer anymoooore..."

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (08/01/85)

In article <252@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) writes:
>'Keeping NTSC the best colour television standard in the world....'

N.T.S.C = Never Twice the Same Color
--
Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383