[net.tv] NBC peacock

holts@ucla-cs.UUCP (07/23/85)

Alright, we got old Coke back, how about another American
institution that is almost as important as Coke- the NBC
peacock.  I still haven't gotten used to hearing the beginning
of the Tonight Show without first hearing "The following program
is brought to you in living color, on NBC."

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (07/25/85)

> Alright, we got old Coke back, how about another American
> institution that is almost as important as Coke- the NBC
> peacock.  I still haven't gotten used to hearing the beginning
> of the Tonight Show without first hearing "The following program
> is brought to you in living color, on NBC."

How about a peacock wearing stereo headphones. Last night was the first
stereo Tonight Show broadcast. It was done quite well. The band sounds
better in stereo. The audience applause can be irritating in stereo -
especially when there are a lot of hoots and whistles. The David Letterman
stereo broadcast had inconsistent sound quality. It seemed as if the
technicians were still trying to figure out how to use the stereo system.
More than once the sound of David Letterman's voice seemed to shift from
side to side for no apparent reason.

jeff@abnji.UUCP (jeff) (07/26/85)

[this posting is in living monochrome]

	I agree that the ORIGINAL NBC peacock was a rather flashy
character, but NBC will probably not bring it back due to all the
expense they had trying to change it.

	Remember, they replaced the peacock with a red/blue
'N' but were sued by other stations already using that logo.
Johnnie Carson joked about the new peacock as being the
'NBC capon' since it was missing more than its feet!

				Jeff 'ok, this is trivial' Skot
				{ihnp4 | mcnc | cbosgb} abnji ! jeff

bccarty@whuts.UUCP (Brian C. Carty) (07/30/85)

Funny you should mention the peacock.  I read in a weekend paper that
NBC is phasing out the current "N" slowly.  I don't know what they're
replacing it with.
--
	Brian C. Carty 		AT&T Bell Laboratories - Piscataway, NJ

		..!{ihnp4|allegra}!whuts!bccarty

mikey@trsvax (07/31/85)

WRONG!!!  The tonight show has been intermittently in stereo since
the summer of 1984!!!!!  They started it just after the Oympics.  NBC
evidently wanted to be the first, but ABC beat them to it by broadcasting
selected portions of the Olympics in stereo as a test.  There were
a few stations that went MTS stereo as early as last fall and were
broadcasting what little they could get from the network in stereo.
The local PBS has been stereo since March of 85, the ABC affiliate has
plans to go stereo but no date set, the NBC affiliate here says 1986, and
the CBS affiliate says "STEREO, you mean FM" and hangs up!

mikey at trsvax

brown@nicmad.UUCP (08/04/85)

In article <54900031@trsvax> mikey@trsvax writes:
>the CBS affiliate says "STEREO, you mean FM" and hangs up!

Our CBS affiliate is stereo now, the first in Madison, which has caught
me completely by surprise, considering the size of the market.

They have very little programming in stereo, so I haven't run out the
get the MPX decoder from my local dealer.
--
              | |-------| o|   HRD725U & PV9600
Mr. Video     | |AV-2010| o|   |--------------|
              |------------| VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown