[net.tv] M*A*S*H trivia question

kps@panda.UUCP (Kesavan Srinivasan) (07/12/85)

Does anyone know the words to the M*A*S*H theme song?

I believe the title is "Suicide is Painless."

thanks,

B.K.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (07/13/85)

> Does anyone know the words to the M*A*S*H theme song?
>
> I believe the title is "Suicide is Painless."

This is supposed to be Trivia?  You can find this music anywhere,
almost any of the top 100 songs of the 70's books have it.

Through early morning fog I see,
Visions of the things to be......

Now the real trivia is the words to the Star Trek theme.  The only
place I've ever seen it written out is at the beginning of the book
"The Making of Star Trek"

-Ron

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (07/14/85)

> > Does anyone know the words to the M*A*S*H theme song?
> >
> > I believe the title is "Suicide is Painless."
> >
> This is supposed to be Trivia?  You can find this music anywhere,
> almost any of the top 100 songs of the 70's books have it.
>
> Through early morning fog I see,
> Visions of the things to be......
>
> Now the real trivia is the words to the Star Trek theme.  The only
> place I've ever seen it written out is at the beginning of the book
> "The Making of Star Trek"
>
> -Ron

There is a new book out (the name of the author escapes me, tho he was
recently on Dr Demento's show) which lists the words and music to old TV
show themes, many of which had none on the air.  Leave It To Beaver is one
example, and Star Trek is another.

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

Just to hit the ball and touch 'em all
A moment in the sun
It's gone, and you can tell that one goodbye.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/15/85)

In article <11541@brl-tgr.ARPA> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>Now the real trivia is the words to the Star Trek theme.  The only
>place I've ever seen it written out is at the beginning of the book
>"The Making of Star Trek"
>
>-Ron

Many years ago, I bought an "easy-to-play-popular-music book" when I was
learning the piano. It had the theme from star trek (part of the reason I
bought it) and the words.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

alan@drivax.UUCP (Alan Fargusson) (07/16/85)

> Does anyone know the words to the M*A*S*H theme song?
>
> I believe the title is "Suicide is Painless."
>
> thanks,
>
> B.K.

I was surprised when I saw the M*A*S*H movie on tv a few years ago
and they sang the words to the theme. The coris goes something like
"suicide is paneless, it brings on many changes, ...". I can't remember
anything else. If you have a VCR you could rent the movie and write
it down. If you don't have a VCR you could rent one in fact.
--

Alan Fargusson.

{ ihnp4, amdahl, mot }!drivax!alan

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) <387@petfe.UUCP>:

>There is a new book out (the name of the author escapes me, tho he was
>recently on Dr Demento's show) which lists the words and music to old TV
>show themes, many of which had none on the air.  Leave It To Beaver is one
>example, and Star Trek is another.
>
>--Evan Marcus
>--
>{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
>                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

Say, if anybody knows the name of this book and the author please post or
mail to me.  I heard about this some time ago on a late night talk show,
wrote it down and promptly lost it.  Thanks.

--dan levy, hacker
at&t data communications products (aka at&t teletype corp)
skokie
..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (07/18/85)

From: ihnp4!drivax!alan@ut-sally (Alan Fargusson)
>If you have a VCR you could rent the movie and write
>it down.

Not all of the verses were sung in the movie; the best bet it to get the
sheet music (or a book that has it in).

						-Dragon

--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (07/18/85)

"Suicide is paneless", you say? What does that mean -- that you can't do
it in front of a window?

Enough of that... Here are the words: (This was on Usenet at least once
before, maybe two years or so ago. We need an infinite database to store
all this stuff for instant access forever...)

1.
Through early morning fog I see
Visions of the things to be;
The pains that are withheld for me,
I realize, and I can see --

That (chorus): suicide is painless,
It brings on many changes,
And I can take or leave it if I please.

2.
I try to find a way to make
All our little joys relate
Without that ever-present hate
But now I know that it's too late.

And (chorus)

3.
The game of life is hard to play,
I'm going to lose it anyway,
The losing card I'll someday lay,
So this is all I have to say,

That (chorus)

4.
The only way to win is cheat
And lay it down before I'm beat,
And to another give a seat
For that's the only painless feat.

'Cause (chorus)

5.
The sword of time will pierce our skins,
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger, watch it grin.

For (chorus)

6.
A brave man once requested me
To answer questions that are key,
"Is it to be or not to be?"
And I replied, "Oh, why ask me?"

'Cause (chorus)
-- and you can do the same thing if you please...

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (07/22/85)

> Enough of that... Here are the words: (This was on Usenet at least once
> before, maybe two years or so ago. We need an infinite database to store
> all this stuff for instant access forever...)

That had to be one of the cheeriest (is that a word?) songs I
have heard in a long time! :-)
                               Dave Lowrey

"To vacillate or not to vacillate, that is the question....
 ....or is it?"
                                ...!(<sun,cbosgd,ihnp4}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (07/24/85)

> Does anyone know the words to the M*A*S*H theme song?
>
> I believe the title is "Suicide is Painless."
>
> thanks,
>
> B.K.

Song From M*A*S*H
(Suicide is Painless)

Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are with held for me.
I realize and I can see, that

(chorus)
suicide is painless, it brings on many changes,
and I can take or leave it if I please.

Try to find a way to make
All our little joys relate
Without that ever-present hate
Bur now I know that it's too late

(chorus)

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (08/01/85)

Dave Lowery, writing about Mash's theme song "Suicide is Painless," writes:

> That had to be one of the cheeriest (is that a word?) songs I
> have heard in a long time! :-)

It had some distant connection to the plot of the original movie, though;
in it, a dentist nick-named "Painless" is given a "suicide pill" (which
actually is a mere placebo of sorts) by some of his fellow-physicians,
because he is suffering from low self-esteem.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	"Fvzcyvsl, fvzcyvsl."  -- UQG

jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) (08/02/85)

> It had some distant connection to the plot of the original movie, though;
> in it, a dentist nick-named "Painless" is given a "suicide pill" (which
> actually is a mere placebo of sorts) by some of his fellow-physicians,
> because he is suffering from low self-esteem.
> --

Actually he was suffering from impotence!

                       Jeff McQuinn just VAXing around

dbmk1@stc.UUCP (Derek Bergin) (08/05/85)

In article <465@riccb.UUCP> jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) writes:
>> because he is suffering from low self-esteem.
>
>Actually he was suffering from impotence!

No - he just thought he was because he couldn't detect a heartbeat from the
*pride* (of wherever).

Regards
  Derek

!seismo!mcvax!ukc!stc!dbmk1

Any correlation between the garbage above and any suspected fact should be
removed and destroyed immediately.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (08/06/85)

> > It had some distant connection to the plot of the original movie, though;
> > in it, a dentist nick-named "Painless" is given a "suicide pill" (which
> > actually is a mere placebo of sorts) by some of his fellow-physicians,
> > because he is suffering from low self-esteem.
> > --
>
> Actually he was suffering from impotence!

FOO, the problem was that he was convinced he was going homosexual.

jkw@lanl.ARPA (08/06/85)

> In article <465@riccb.UUCP> jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) writes:
> >> because he is suffering from low self-esteem.
> >
> >Actually he was suffering from impotence!
> >
> No - he just thought he was because he couldn't detect a heartbeat from the
> *pride* (of wherever).

  The Pride of Hamtramk (as I recall)

       ~ Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare ~
       ~ The lone and level sands stretch far away................. ~
	  Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA

maciag@spar.UUCP (Chris Maciag) (08/07/85)

In article <449@brl-tgr.ARPA> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:

>> > It had some distant connection to the plot of the original movie, though;
>> > in it, a dentist nick-named "Painless" is given a "suicide pill" (which
>> > actually is a mere placebo of sorts) by some of his fellow-physicians,
>> > because he is suffering from low self-esteem.
>> > --
>>
>> Actually he was suffering from impotence!
>>
>FOO, the problem was that he was convinced he was going homosexual.

Both are right.
	Painless was convinced that he was going homosexual because he
	was suffering from temporary impotence.

	-Chris

nadya@dartvax.UUCP (Nadya M. Labib) (08/08/85)

In article <449@brl-tgr.ARPA> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:

>> > It had some distant connection to the plot of the original movie, though;
>> > in it, a dentist nick-named "Painless" is given a "suicide pill" (which
>> > actually is a mere placebo of sorts) by some of his fellow-physicians,
>> > because he is suffering from low self-esteem.
>> > --
>>
>> Actually he was suffering from impotence!
>>
>FOO, the problem was that he was convinced he was going homosexual.

I was in an off-off-off Broadway production of the "original" M*A*S*H and I
think you guys ought to go rent the tape at you local video store.
He WAS suffering from "low self-esteem", because of the fact that he was
unable to go out "normally" with females. *Impotence* was a problem.
But the main idea was that he was afraid to ask a woman for a date, and once
he had, the evening turned into a nightmare.  Ok???

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (08/09/85)

> Both are right.
>         Painless was convinced that he was going homosexual because he
>         was suffering from temporary impotence.

Well, I've sat and listened to everyone say I was wrong for long enough
to decide to defend myself, now.

The above sentence was true; however, Painless's "impotence" was due to low
self-esteem: he thought he couldn't, uh, succeed at what he was trying to
accomplish, so he didn't.

As evidence of this, consider how the problem was solved.  His fellow
physicians gave him this "suicide pill," which was really a tranquilizer
which caused him to go to sleep for awhile.  When he woke up, there was a
nurse (of the opposite sex) there with him! (Like that passage from Ruth
I mentioned in the Kate Bush article... "he awoke, and lo! a woman lay at
his feet!". :-) ) Everything went just fine, and he was all OK again.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

	"Lbh xabj... jura lbh pybpx gur uhzna enpr jvgu gur fgbcjngpu bs
	 uvfgbel, vg'f n arj erpbeq, rirel gvzr."