[net.tv] longest running series

bob@ulose.UUCP ( Bob Bismuth ) (08/04/85)

> >In article <1959@sunybcs.UUCP> ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) writes:
> >>     Does anybody out there know what the longest running T.V. series
> >>is and how Star Trek compares with it.

If you open the question to include (as in one reply) British television
series, then I believe the record is currently held by a soap called
"Coronation Street", which has been shown twice a week since the early
fifties. If I remember correctly, I was in the UK when it celebrated its
33rd year and have a feeling it is now in its 36th year.

One of the originals is still in the series (I think) at an age of around
80 or so. A few years ago she was awarded an MBE (Member, British Empire)
by HRH 'liz II.

If you widen the series sought to include radio, then I think the UK has
that one too with "The Archers", broadcast every night since the late 20s
or early 30s. I don't believe any of the original radio actors are still
in the series, though some are still alive.

      --  bob
	  (decvax!ulose!bob)

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (08/08/85)

> If you widen the series sought to include radio, then I think the UK has
> that one too with "The Archers", broadcast every night since the late 20s
> or early 30s. I don't believe any of the original radio actors are still
> in the series, though some are still alive.

"Music and the Spoken Word", which is a religious program put
out by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (The
Mormons), complete with the Mormon Tabarnacle Chior, started
out as a C.B.S. radio program in I believe 1930, then later
moved to early morning Sunday T.V. .  It is the longest
running U.S. series.  It's not Trek, but it probably is
about as ancient as any series you're likely to find.

ables@mcc-db.UUCP (King Ables) (08/09/85)

>     Does anybody out there know what the longest running T.V. series
>is and how Star Trek compares with it.

If you mean currently running (and in the US), and you don't
to include soap operas, I'm not sure anymore, it was "The Wonderful
World of Disney" until recently.  "The Guiding Light" (soap) has
been running for something like 30 years.  I don't know if that
gives it the lead in soaps or not.  "The Edge of Night" recently
went off the air after a very long run, too.

It hardly matters, though,  because to compare it to Star Trek
is fairly useless.  Almost any show that you can remember would have
run longer than Trek because Trek only ran 3 years (yes, I know, there
was 1 or 2 years of the cartoon, too).

Now if you are including syndication as part of the run-time, then
you open a whole 'nuther can of worms.  Many shows from the 50s are
still running in syndication.

-King
ARPA: ables@mcc
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!mcc-db!ables