[net.tv] Inconsistency in "The Fantastic Voyage"???

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (08/12/85)

Just the other night I watched the movie "The Fantastic Voyage".  I had seen
it several years ago and I had also read the book back when I was in 6th grade,
so I really didn't catch everything the first time through.  Now, almost 10
years later, I finally got to see it again and found what may be a mistake on
Isaac Asimov's part.

   Remember when the submarine ran into a problem and lost some air out of the
ballast tanks?  The solution was to push the sub's snorkel through the wall of
an alveoli in the guy's lung and get some air when he inhaled.  Well, wouldn't
there be a problem with the size of the air molecules?  I mean, when the sub
was miniaturized, the air inside it was shrunken also.  Now, wouldn't there be
at least a bogus air pressure reading when they fill up with normal air that
hasn't been miniaturized?  For that matter, would the air molecules even be
able to fit into the sub?

   Please reply via e-mail, as I don't read this newsgroup too often.  Thanks...
--
     Adrian Zannin
..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/14/85)

Oh boy. More Fantastic Voyage flames!

> Just the other night I watched the movie "The Fantastic Voyage".  I had seen
> it several years ago and I had also read the book back when I was in 6th grade,
> so I really didn't catch everything the first time through.  Now, almost 10
> years later, I finally got to see it again and found what may be a mistake on
> Isaac Asimov's part.

Asimov didn't write the screenplay. He wrote the book based on the screenplay.
Read the book and you'll see the answer to the following question is...

>    Remember when the submarine ran into a problem and lost some air out of the
> ballast tanks?  The solution was to push the sub's snorkel through the wall of
> an alveoli in the guy's lung and get some air when he inhaled.  Well, wouldn't
> there be a problem with the size of the air molecules?  I mean, when the sub
> was miniaturized, the air inside it was shrunken also.  Now, wouldn't there be
> at least a bogus air pressure reading when they fill up with normal air that
> hasn't been miniaturized?  For that matter, would the air molecules even be
> able to fit into the sub?

In the book they used the miniaturiser on the air in the guy's lungs, and
at one point someone comments that "we're pullinzVg air from the room
straight through his tissues", or words to that effect. The question then
becomes why they bothered with the lungs in the first place, but don't blame
Asimov for that one.

There's a worse problem with the movie: they leave the spaceship inside the
guy! But don't blame asimov. He didn't have anything to do with it.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (08/16/85)

If you think it's bad leaving a submarine inside the guy (people say that
the white cell left the body with the crew) there is something far worse.

The miniturization is done as a two stage process.  First the sub is shrunk,
and then it's put in a 50 gallon syringe which is further shrunk.  When
that expands, boy is the patient going to need to go to the bathroom like you
wouldn't believe!
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/19/85)

> The miniturization is done as a two stage process.  First the sub is shrunk,
> and then it's put in a 50 gallon syringe which is further shrunk.  When
> that expands, boy is the patient going to need to go to the bathroom like you
> wouldn't believe!

Oogh, I missed this one. The operative word is "OUCH".
--
	Peter (Made in Australia) da Silva

shanks@teneron.UUCP (Dave Shanks) (08/20/85)

In article <327@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>The miniturization is done as a two stage process.  First the sub is shrunk,
>and then it's put in a 50 gallon syringe which is further shrunk.  When
>that expands, boy is the patient going to need to go to the bathroom like you
>wouldn't believe!

This could be solved by starting out with a real syringe of saline
solution and expanding it to 50 gallons before putting the sub in.  As
I recall (from the book) the miniturizer could work in either direction.

--
Dave Shanks	..!tektronix!reed!teneron!shanks
Teneron Corp.