[net.tv] Oh-oh, guess what's getting adapted to TV...

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (08/22/85)

Just saw, in this week's TV Guide, that either a new TV series, or a
TV-movie will be premiering this fall: "SPENSER: FOR HIRE".  I enjoy Robert
Parker's Spenser books enormously (though he has been running a little dry,
lately); but if this is something that TV writers are dredging up week after
week, forget it.  The woman pictured playing Susan Silverman does not look
promising; and the choice of Robert Urich for Spenser is still worse (not
Urich's looks, Urich's acting).  Frankly, though, I imagine that Quinn
Martin or someone like that will find the books just another excuse to do
VEGA$ one more time, except in Boston...

                "You can't go in there!"
                "Yes I can.  This is America.  I can go anywhere I want to."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb1, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
<*> DISCLAIMER: Do what you want to me, but leave my employers alone! <*>

In article <2566@vax4.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Just saw, in this week's TV Guide, that either a new TV series, or a
>TV-movie will be premiering this fall: "SPENSER: FOR HIRE"....
>... but if this is something that TV writers are dredging up week after
>week, forget it.  The woman pictured playing Susan Silverman does not look
>promising; and the choice of Robert Urich for Spenser is still worse (not
>Urich's looks, Urich's acting).  Frankly, though, I imagine that Quinn
>Martin or someone like that will find the books just another excuse to do
>VEGA$ one more time, except in Boston...

	A fairly apt description, I was in the preview audience for
this show several months ago. It struck me as a basic "formula"
detective show with few new elements. There *are* a couple of
interesting characters though. I will probably watch the pilot episode
again just to see if they re-edited it after the preview showing.
Other than that I will only watch it if it is the only decent show
on. Oh, by the way, the dialog came off *real* hockey!
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

prd7886@ritcv.UUCP (Patrick R. Demorais) (09/12/85)

In article <705@psivax.UUCP> friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>In article <2566@vax4.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>>Just saw, in this week's TV Guide, that either a new TV series, or a
>>TV-movie will be premiering this fall: "SPENSER: FOR HIRE"....

>                              I will probably watch the pilot episode
>again just to see if they re-edited it after the preview showing.
>Other than that I will only watch it if it is the only decent show
>on.
>--
>
>				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

I think Entertainment This Week said that the show will air at the
same time as Miami Vice.  Pretty stiff competion I think.

		- Patrick R. Demorais
		- rit!ritcv!prd7886@rochester
		- {allegra|seismo}!rochester!rit!ritcv!prd7886