[net.tv] 1960's adventure shows

lagasse@biomed.UUCP (Robert C. Lagasse) (09/10/85)

       Watching some reruns the other day as a form of background noise, I
realized that there were a bunch of adventure type shows produced in the
1960's (and many were good) that portrayed a male hero type (usually a
gentle person) that was not married or maybe divorced or lost a wife
somehow.  Examples are: Flipper, Gentle Ben, Lassie, Daktari, Andy Griffeth
to name a few.  All of these guys wore khaki colored shirts and were some
sort of public servants I believe.

   I wonder what was the psychological reasoning behind producing a string
of shows like these with so many unattached fathers?  Oh......My Three Sons
sort of falls into the same catagory.

Back to the drafting table, bye for now.....

Bob Lagasse

goodrum@unc.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) (09/16/85)

In article <121@biomed.UUCP> lagasse@biomed.UUCP (Robert C. Lagasse) writes:

>       Watching some reruns the other day as a form of background noise, I
>realized that there were a bunch of adventure type shows produced in the
>1960's (and many were good) that portrayed a male hero type (usually a
>gentle person) that was not married or maybe divorced or lost a wife
>somehow.  Examples are: Flipper, Gentle Ben, Lassie, Daktari, Andy Griffeth
>to name a few.  All of these guys wore khaki colored shirts and were some
>sort of public servants I believe.

	Another show that would fall into the same category would be the
cartoon "Johnny Quest". I don't recall Johnny's having a mother. And
speaking of Johnny's lineage, why is it that Race Bannon looked more
like Johnny than Johnny's alleged father did?? Hmmm...

>Bob Lagasse

 Cloyd Goodrum

lmv@houxa.UUCP (L.VANDERBILT) (09/18/85)

Robert C. Lagasse writes:
>        Watching some reruns the other day as a form of background noise, I
> realized that there were a bunch of adventure type shows produced in the
> 1960's (and many were good) that portrayed a male hero type (usually a
> gentle person) that was not married or maybe divorced or lost a wife
> somehow.  Examples are: Flipper, Gentle Ben, Lassie, Daktari, Andy Griffeth
> to name a few.  All of these guys wore khaki colored shirts and were some
> sort of public servants I believe.
>
>    I wonder what was the psychological reasoning behind producing a string
> of shows like these with so many unattached fathers?  Oh......My Three Sons
> sort of falls into the same catagory.

I can't remember but did Petticoat Junction have no mother or no father in
the show, I think it was no father, but a mother and an uncle.  Just one
show I can think of not following your pattern.  I also remember the
Courtship of Eddie's Father which was a show where the mother had died.

root@trwrdc.UUCP (Lord Frith) (09/26/85)

In article <789@houxa.UUCP> lmv@houxa.UUCP (L.VANDERBILT) writes:

>>  Watching some reruns the other day as a form of background noise, I
>> realized that there were a bunch of adventure type shows produced in the
>> 1960's (and many were good) that portrayed a male hero type (usually a
>> gentle person) that was not married or maybe divorced or lost a wife
>> somehow.  Examples are: Flipper, Gentle Ben, Lassie, Daktari, Andy Griffeth
>> to name a few.  All of these guys wore khaki colored shirts and were some
>> sort of public servants I believe.
>>
>> I wonder what was the psychological reasoning behind producing a string
>> of shows like these with so many unattached fathers?  Oh......My Three Sons
>> sort of falls into the same catagory.
>
> I can't remember but did Petticoat Junction have no mother or no father in
> the show, I think it was no father, but a mother and an uncle.  Just one
> show I can think of not following your pattern.  I also remember the
> Courtship of Eddie's Father which was a show where the mother had died.

I always assumed that the networks were too afraid of portraying a
family with a mother and father.... who actually... well... in bed they
might actually... um... well maybe the male figure should be an Uncle.
And the female should be an Aunt or a housekeeper.  Yeh... that works.
Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz!
--

seismo!umcp-cs!speaker					- Speaker

CAPTIVES...