[net.tv] Emmy Awards

tommyo@ihuxw.UUCP (Tom O`Connor) (09/24/84)

Well, somebody`s got to put their 2 cents worth in on the Emmys
so I my as well begin.  As per the norm, the show was WAY too long.
The skit with the commercial stars singing was pathetic!  The
tribute to Rod Serling almost put me to sleep til they had the
clip from the one episode.  The biggest farce of the evening was
seeing Tom Selleck get Best Actor in a drama series vs. guys like
Travanti & the St. Elsewhere crew.  Give me a break!!!!
And Jane Fonda!!  Come on gang (my political memories never fade).

On the bright side, I was very happy to see Tyne Daly and Bruce
Weitz get awards, as well as Jane Curtain.  I was surprised that
John Ritter got actor in a comedy, but though the show is dumb
he IS good.  The fellow who did the trumpet solo (what was his name)
was tremendous and I hope this really gives him some exposure.
I also got a kick of seeing the Anderson family together again.
I can`t believe that was Lauren Chapin!

At least they didn`t give out awards for best music video!

Tom O`Connor
ihuxw!tommyo

54326jj@hou2f.UUCP (J.JOHNSON) (09/24/85)

For some reason, I haven't heard anything about
the Emmy awards, which were on this past Sunday night.

I was wondering if anybody in net.tvland could tell
me which actors and shows won this great award [:-)].

Thanks a lot for your help!

Jo-Ann J.
hou2f!54326jj

broehl@watdcsu.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (09/25/85)

<bug line>

I don't remember all of them, but I know that Rhea Perlman from Cheers won
for best supporting actress, John Laroquette (sp?) won for best supporting
actor (for Night Court), Robert Guillaume (sp?) won best actor in a comedy
series for Benson, and that Cosby did predictably well and Miami vice did
unusually poorly.

All in all, I was surprised how entertaining the show itself was.  Some very
good production numbers, good presenters and good acceptance speeches.  Not
bad, not bad at all.  Hope next year's is as good.

Anybody heard any updates on the guy who tried to accept Betty Thomas' award
for her?

sues@hercules.UUCP (Sue Anne Smith) (09/25/85)

In article <527@hou2f.UUCP> 54326jj@hou2f.UUCP (J.JOHNSON) writes:
>For some reason, I haven't heard anything about
>the Emmy awards, which were on this past Sunday night.
>I was wondering if anybody in net.tvland could tell
>me which actors and shows won this great award [:-)].

I don't remember all of them.  The ones that I readily recall (and were most
important to me) were Best Dramatic Series - "Cagney & Lacey" (I think the
neighbors heard me whooping it up over that one), and Best Dramatic Actress -
Tyne Daly (I'm glad Tyne won, but I would like to see Sharon Gless getting
more credit and recognition).  "Cagney & Lacey" also walked off with a number
of other awards dealing with directing, writing and editing.

Let's see -- Best Comedy Series went to "The Bill Cosby Show".  (I must be the
only person in the good ole USA that doesn't like this show.)  Best Comedy
Actress went to Jane Curtin.  Best Comedy Actor -- the guy who plays Benson
(I never could pronounce his name, let alone spell it).  Betty Thomas picked
up Best Supporting Actress.  Beyond that, I'm drawing a blank.

"Cagney & Lacey" Forever!

Sue Anne Smith
Tektornix, Inc.
Beaverton, Oregon

tommyo@ihuxw.UUCP (Tom O`Connor) (09/26/85)

Basically, the show was a real snoozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzer.
The highlight was an imposter accepting Betty Thomas' supporting
actress in drama award as she was coming up the stage!
He was arrested & charged with attempted grand theft!  Other
winners were:

Comdey show - Cosby
Comedy Actor - Robert Guillome (sorry Bob, I know I messed your name up)
" "    Actress - Jane Curtain
  "    Sup Actor - John Larroquette
  "    Sup Actress - Rhea Perlman

Drama -
Actor - William Daniels
Actress- Tyne Daly ( incredibly pregnant! )
Sup Actor - the sergeant/whatever on Miami Vice
Sup Actress - Betty Thomas

Cosby, of course, didn`t accept nominations, or "Benson"
never would have won.  Larroquette really surprised me,
considering he was up against NAHRM, Coach and Cliffy.
Curtain also surprised me.  I expected Shelley Long to take it easy.
The others weren`t too surprising, though since I`ve NEVER
watched "Miami MTV", I know zzip about that guy.

DALLAS PREMIRE FRIDAY NIGHT!!!
Can`t wait to see what the WILL says.
Who gets how much of Bobby`s share of EWING OIL?

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (09/26/85)

> For some reason, I haven't heard anything about
> the Emmy awards, which were on this past Sunday night.
>
> I was wondering if anybody in net.tvland could tell
> me which actors and shows won this great award [:-)].

I think the reason nothing was mentioned was...

due to overwhelming consensus, no shows were deemed worthy
of an emmy this past year, so none were given out! :-)

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) (10/01/85)

Late Night with David Letterman won! Every thin else is negligible.