[net.tv] Plan 9 on TV next week

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (09/25/85)

In article <5346@mit-eddie.UUCP> barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:

>"Plan 9 from Outer Space" will be shown next Friday, Sept 27, at 2am EDT
>A camp classic, arguably the worst movie ever made, famous for its inane
>dialogue, specious [sic] effects and Bela Lugosi's disappearance in
>mid-story (he died during filming).  Lyle Talbot.

Sounds like a definite candidate for the "totally bad movie" list.
Is there anything good to be said about this film?

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

(The views expressed herein are the exclusive property of Dave Kirby.
Anyone sharing these views will be prosecuted to the fullest extent
of law.)

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (09/27/85)

> Sounds like a definite candidate for the "totally bad movie" list.
> Is there anything good to be said about this film?

Yes, it has an ending :-)

I saw this movie a couple of years ago on the Friday late late night
Creature Feature.  Before starting the movie, the host was most apologetic
about its quality.  He was right!  It was the only television show I can
remember watching where one tolorated watching the show just to enjoy the
commercials.

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (09/29/85)

> >"Plan 9 from Outer Space" will be shown next Friday, Sept 27, at 2am EDT

> Sounds like a definite candidate for the "totally bad movie" list.
> Is there anything good to be said about this film?

Having recently been "initiated" into the Plan Nine camp due to the
aforementioned showing, I've concluded that there definitely needs to be a
special "it's-so-bad-it's-good" category in the film ratings. The dialogue
delivery (especially that of the narrator and of the incredibly pompous
alien commander) is so hilariously campy and inept that it's hard to believe
it wasn't done intentionally.  This movie does to science fiction what
"Springtime For Hitler" (from the movie "The Producers") did for Broadway
musicals. A must-have in any Sci-Fi buff's tape library, since as Leonard
Maltin says: "So mesmerizingly awful it actually improves (so to speak) with
each viewing. And remember: it's all based on sworn testimony!"

I've suggested to Lauren Weinstein that he sponsor an "Eddie Wood Film
Festival" at the next USENIX meeting.

"You are all so...STUPID!!"

Phil

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (09/29/85)

Actually, I've already shown "Plan 9" at one of my local L.A. film
festivals, and also at a party following a Usenix some years ago.
Most of Eddie Wood's other works can't really compare, though I haven't
yet gotten around to seeing all of "Glen or Glenda?" (where Ed himself
plays a transvestite) so I can't be totally sure "Plan 9" is the,
uh, "best."  You pick up lots of nice details from these films when
you show them in 16mm.  For example, I first noticed the blinking
highway warning light on the desk of the alien commander during one
of my 16mm screenings.  The "narrator" of "Plan 9" (and some of Ed's
other works) was of course the infamous "Criswell" -- a "futurist"
who wrote lots of books with 99.99% WRONG predictions.  I've seen some
of them, they are incredibly amusing.  But note that both Criswell and
Ed were SERIOUS about these films.  Ed was a flying saucer buff, and
thought that "Plan 9" was making a serious anti-war statement.
Several of the (still living, of course) "Plan 9" stars have appeared
locally at "Plan 9" screenings and have strongly stated that they
did NOT think it was a spoof when they did it!

I tried to get Criswell to come out to one of my film fests (I always
try to get one or two guest stars--sometime I'll tell you about the
time Rocky the Flying Squirrel was leaving messages on my answering
machine regarding my "Jay Ward" film fest).  Unfortunately, Criswell
had already died.  I also wanted Hans Conried for my "Dr. T" film fest,
but he also is no longer with the living.  Unless I start resorting
to resurrecting the dead (and interesting project) I'm going to have
to try get to some of these people faster or I'm going to run out
of guests.  Wait until you see what I have planned for my "Outer Limits"
film fest here in L.A.!  I found some live ones for this one...

--Lauren--
[Exercise for readers: Why is "Plan 9" like Usenet?]

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (10/02/85)

> Actually, I've already shown "Plan 9" at one of my local L.A. film
> festivals, and also at a party following a Usenix some years ago.
> Most of Eddie Wood's other works can't really compare, though I haven't
> yet gotten around to seeing all of "Glen or Glenda?" (where Ed himself
> plays a transvestite) so I can't be totally sure "Plan 9" is the,
> uh, "best."

     Gee, it's really hard to pick, but I'd have to say "Plan 9" was
a little "better" than "Glen or Glenda", even if it(Plan 9) was meant
as a serious film!!!! The best part of "Glen or Glenda" was Bela Lugosi's(sp?)
narration of the film, along with a couple of scenes of Bela trying to
look ferocious, like in his "Dracula" films!!!