[net.tv] What shows are in Stereo?

jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP (09/27/85)

Does anyone know which programs are in stereo this fall?  I've
heard that 9 shows are produced in stereo.  Unfortunately my
source does not list the shows.  My guess is that they are:

    -  The Cosby Show (NBC)
    -  Family Ties (NBC)
    -  Cheers (NBC)
    -  Miami Vice (NBC)
    -  Tonight Show (NBC)
    -  David Letterman (NBC)
    -  Friday Night Videos (NBC)
    -  Saturday Night Live (NBC)
    -  Insiders (ABC)

Does anyone have other information?

-- Jeff Wu
   .. ihnp4!hpfcla!hpcnoe!j_wu

dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (09/30/85)

In article <19800002@hpcnoe.UUCP> jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP writes:

>Does anyone know which programs are in stereo this fall?  I've
>heard that 9 shows are produced in stereo.  Unfortunately my
>source does not list the shows.  My guess is that they are:
>
>    -  The Cosby Show (NBC)
>    -  Family Ties (NBC)
>    -  Cheers (NBC)
>    -  Miami Vice (NBC)
>    -  Tonight Show (NBC)
>    -  David Letterman (NBC)
>    -  Friday Night Videos (NBC)
>    -  Saturday Night Live (NBC)
>    -  Insiders (ABC)
>
>Does anyone have other information?
>
>-- Jeff Wu
>   .. ihnp4!hpfcla!hpcnoe!j_wu

Last night, AMAZING STORIES and ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS were also
in stereo.  I believe THE TWILIGHT ZONE was, too, but I'm not sure.
Incidentally, I think all three of these shows were a welcome addition
to network tv, and I will watch them every week.  The first episode of
THE TWILIGHT ZONE was really very good, with excellent acting by
David Addison of MOONLIGHTING in the first segment and a kooky performance
by Melinda Dillon in the second, good direction by Wes Craven in both
segments.  I liked AMAZING STORIES' first episode, but I thought it stuck
too close to the Spielberg formula (about five minutes of the 24 minute
episode were spent on another drawn-out goodbye scene).  Roberts Blossom
and Lukas Haas were great.  I look forward to many outstanding things
from this show--later episodes will be directed by Clint Eastwood,
Martin Scorsese, and Brian DePalma.  Looks like competition from cable
is finally beginning to make the networks (with the obvious exception
of ABC) improve their product.

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (10/02/85)

In article <19800002@hpcnoe.UUCP> jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP writes:

>Does anyone know which programs are in stereo this fall?  I've
>heard that 9 shows are produced in stereo.  Unfortunately my
>source does not list the shows.  My guess is that they are:
>
>    -  The Cosby Show (NBC)
>    -  Family Ties (NBC)
>    -  Cheers (NBC)
>    -  Miami Vice (NBC)
>    -  Tonight Show (NBC)
>    -  David Letterman (NBC)
>    -  Friday Night Videos (NBC)
>    -  Saturday Night Live (NBC)
>    -  Insiders (ABC)
>
>Does anyone have other information?

Quite a number of NBC shows are "in stereo". But don't let this fool you.
In most of these shows, only the opening, closing, and segue music are
stereo. The actual sitcom, or what have you, is mono all the way. It
will probably take some time and experimentation before the networks
really know how to use stereo sound to inhance a program. As for tonight
and Late Night, they are truly stereo -- even though the segue music is
the only effective use of stereo. Audience laughter and applause in stereo
just isn't that exciting.

terry2@ihlpm.UUCP (t. nelson) (10/07/85)

> In article <19800002@hpcnoe.UUCP> jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP writes:
> >
> >Does anyone know which programs are in stereo this fall? .....
> >Does anyone have other information?
>
> Quite a number of NBC shows are "in stereo". But don't let this fool you.
> In most of these shows, only the opening, closing, and segue music are
> stereo. The actual sitcom, or what have you, is mono all the way. ...

Miami Vice for the most part is in full stereo.  i.e. Footsteps only
in the left channel, the sound of a automobile engine traveling from
left to right channel, all of the music, etc.  Most of the dialog is
centered.
--

..ihnp4!ihlpm!terry2   **************************   "All this is
                       *      Terry Nelson      *   because of me