[net.tv] Farm-Aid

daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) (09/23/85)

     I guess ABC doesn't think the Farm-Aid isn't a good enough cause to
merit prime time. I guess the Emmy's are more important than the American
Farmer. They didn't air any of Farm-Aid till after the Emmy awards. They
probably would've raised a lot more money if ABC (or another network) would've
given some prime time coverage. Kinda' pathetic if you ask me.
                                       Shawn P. Daly
                                       New York Blood Center
                                       New York, N.Y.
                                       seismo!cmcl2!nybcb!daly

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (09/24/85)

     Don't blame ABC for your woes!!!!  I can't help it if your ABC affiliate
would rather show the Emmies (sp?) than Farm Aid.  Here, in the 29th largest
ADI, as well as the 26th, and the 49th, all four CBS affiliates (WSPA, WFMY,
WBTV, and the one on the coast) all blew off everything but "Sixty Minutes."

     I don't think that any of the major networks had anything to do with
this, and it is out of the good graces of your local VHF affiliates to carry
Farm Aid at all.  Frankly, the thing reeked of a local PBS fund raising drive,
and was the very polar opposite of "Live Aid" in terms of class. I turned
on the awards after about 25 minutes!

     Getting your collected representatives in Washington off their royal
butts (instead of endless bickering about porn rock, South Africa, and the
SDI) to solve this problem will go much further than whining at your local
affiliate.

     The motivations and objectives of "Farm Aid" are noble and commendable,
and there are certain farmers in a truly horrible situation.  However, if
you look at the entertainment industry, you will find ** PLENTY ** of
people who are equally as destitute for one reason or another.  How about
the 10 minute plug for the "National Endowment for the Humanities" which
gives ** PLENTY ** of talented people the opportunity to practise their
crafts and avoid starvation.  For every film editor on "Cagney and Lacey"
there are 50 of them editing TV newsfilm earning near-poverty level wages.
How about certain "living props" in the entertainment field which engage
in near self-mutilation and punishing, gruelling work to get the mere
opportunity to try out for a lousy part in a telecast.

     I suppose that you want the FCC to require TV stations to air programming
about every single group or person who is in bad shape, before allowing
one minute to entertainment and "awards?"  Talk about the collapse of
the economy...!

David Anthony
CDE
DataSpan, Inc.

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (09/26/85)

>      I guess ABC doesn't think the Farm-Aid isn't a good enough cause to
> merit prime time. I guess the Emmy's are more important than the American
> Farmer. They didn't air any of Farm-Aid till after the Emmy awards. They
> probably would've raised a lot more money if ABC (or another network) would've
> given some prime time coverage. Kinda' pathetic if you ask me.

It shouldn't be blamed entirely on ABC.  The Farm-Aid organizers could
have chosen a night other than "Television"s most important night of
the year, or a different network.

They also limited their "marketability" by going with country music.
Country music isn't going to bring in the high ratings of popular music.
(Not to say that there weren't good reasons to do "country" instead of
pop).

In the end, the amount of money raised by Farm-Aid is inconsequential.
Whether it is $1 million or $100 million, it just isn't going to make a
significant dent in the *tens* of *billions* of dollars of farm debt in
the U.S.  The important thing is the attention that is brought to the
problem.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (09/26/85)

> They didn't air any of Farm-Aid till after the Emmy awards. They
> probably would've raised a lot more money if ABC (or another network) would've
> given some prime time coverage. Kinda' pathetic if you ask me.

  Here in Denver, the local CBS station had 3 HOURS of prime-time coverage,
but the coverage sucked. They would cut out and in in the middle of songs,
and spent more time showing people making speeches than the music I wanted
to see and hear. It didn't do a very good job of motivating ME to contribute.

--Greg

notch@srcsip.UUCP (Michael k Notch) (09/28/85)

In article <299@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) writes:

>     Don't blame ABC for your woes!!!!  I can't help it if your ABC affiliate
>would rather show the Emmies (sp?) than Farm Aid.  Here, in the 29th largest
>ADI, as well as the 26th, and the 49th, all four CBS affiliates (WSPA, WFMY,
>WBTV, and the one on the coast) all blew off everything but "Sixty Minutes."

The Farm-Aid concert was shown in its entirity on the "cable" station called
NSH or Nashville station. This concert went on for over 12 hours.

--
    But...   What about Naomi?

USENET:   ihnp4!umn-cs!srcsip!notch
US-SMAIL: Michael k Notch (The small k is on purpose)
	   Honeywell Inc.  Minneapolis, Minnesota  55440
	   MN17-2349  SIP/SRC/MVT   [1-612-378-5338]
--

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (09/30/85)

> From: notch@srcsip.UUCP (Michael k Notch)
> The Farm-Aid concert was shown in its entirity on the "cable" station called
> NSH or Nashville station. This concert went on for over 12 hours.

In fact, the Nashville Network produced the broadcast for the rest of the
world, too, which is why we had Brenda Lee breaking in every few minutes
to let us know that she didn't like Neil Young's letter to USA Today
The letter was read during the concert by Matt Broderick.
--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    Staff.Melinda%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

"Beavers, by teamwork family life!"    [Dr. Bronner]

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (10/01/85)

Did anyone besides me catch Sammy Hagar after 11 on TNN's coverage of
Farm Aid.  Sammy managed to fit six of the seven words you don't say
on television all into one sentence, on at least two occasions.

After a bit of this, TNN cut to a suprisingly long string of commercials...

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

baskina@stolaf.UUCP (Andre G. Baskin) (10/16/85)

> Did anyone besides me catch Sammy Hagar after 11 on TNN's coverage of
> Farm Aid.  Sammy managed to fit six of the seven words you don't say
> on television all into one sentence, on at least two occasions.
>
> After a bit of this, TNN cut to a suprisingly long string of commercials...
>
> --
>
> 						Byron C. Howes
> 				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

	Yea, and the radio coverage had a sudden attack of satellite problems.