[net.tv] "Little Boy Lost"

psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (10/22/85)

< Oxygen is for people who can't take New Jersey >

 "Little Boy Lost": teleplay, first broadcast on TWILIGHT ZONE, Friday,
the 18th of October, 1985.

     A young photographer, who must choose between career and family,
comes across a haunting little boy.  Kind of poignant, but I didn't like
it.  "Little Boy Lost" was also, in my opinion, very sexist.
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (10/23/85)

In article <366@lzwi.UUCP> psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>     A young photographer, who must choose between career and family,
>comes across a haunting little boy.  Kind of poignant, but I didn't like
>it.  "Little Boy Lost" was also, in my opinion, very sexist.

Can't agree here -- I don't think it was sexist at all.  At the beginning I
might have agreed with you, with the photographer's boyfriend throwing a
tantrum.  But actually, he's not asking for her to give up her career, or
the job she wants to take; he wants her to marry him AND take the job, but
she wants to be home as the child is raised.  And at the end, she decides to
take the job.  She doesn't look unsympathetic at all for having chosen a
career over a child; but the impact of her decision is nicely played out.
TWILIGHT ZONE is getting to be a real class act (THE WISH BANK episode that
followed this one was hilarious).

                  "I can tell a Moriarty when I see one.  This crime is from
                   London, not America."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (10/28/85)

> "Little Boy Lost" was also, in my opinion, very sexist.

I think I know what you're trying to say, and if so I definitely agree,
but I think "sexist" is the wrong word.  Well, maybe partially correct
in that mother-instinct was used instead of father-instinct.

But there was something else wrong.  Perhaps "selfish" would be a better
word.  Nobody knows why the boyfriend was glued to that city, instead of
doing what I would have done in his position -- gone with her on the
assignments.  Perhaps that is what seems sexist; a REAL man doesn't
follow a woman when her career requires relocation.

Anyhow, I was struck by something else.  Why were American actors,
portraying Americans living in America, speaking British???  I mean,
I can understand that an English writer might slip up and put in a
British phrase or two, but why didn't the actor ask, "Why am I talking
about the line being engaged?".  And why didn't the director holler,
"Not 'trunk call', 'long distance'!"
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug